15 inch false bottom STAND question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShakerD

Reaction score
I am getting a 15 inch false bottom made so I can make Keg Mashtun.

What height should I get the stand made for the middle of the false bottom so that it supports the weight of bigger beers?

Cheers

mpcluever said:
Just measure it!

Except that I am getting it made and was hoping to get them both made at the same time.

I was hoping that someone with a 15 inch false bottom that uses a stand would chime in and offer a measurement.

I have a Jaybird false bottom in my sanke and I've filled the mashtun all the way to the top and the thing didn't cave. Just checked out beersmith for my biggest beer and was able to stuff 34 lbs of grain in the tun with no stand no problems.

I have a bottom drain keggle MLT they I just finished building and in planning to use my 15" jaybird false bottom with no stand. And I plan to recirculate through a herms coil

Jaybird said:
It just depends on where the stand is going to set. The bottom of the keg is domed so the stand needs to be built to work with the false bottom. If your building yourself feel free to check out my site for some ideas.

www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com

Cheers
Jay

Or buy one! I have 2 false bottoms built by Jaybird. Outstanding craftsmanship, fast shipping, customizable. All the work is done for you.

Bobby_M said:
Caving is an issue when you pump out of the mash tun. The weight of the grain itself is not a problem.

+1 on that as a Herms brewer.

I brewed a beer last weekend that out of a 33# grain bill had 17# of flaked wheat and oats, and since my tun is only 15.5g the mash was way too thick even with 2# of rice hulls. I had to stir it about every 10 minutes to keep it from sticking.

At no point was I worried about my J-bird false bottom or stand collapsing. It's a tank.

As for height. You need to either have tall enough to place the false bottom, just above or below your dip tube. Above means you can stir it without worry that you'll knock out your dip tube, but you will loose usable mash volume. Below minimizes dead space, but you need to be mindful of your dip tube when stirring the mash.

The choice is entirely yours.

forcabrew said:
I have a bottom drain keggle MLT they I just finished building and in planning to use my 15" jaybird false bottom with no stand. And I plan to recirculate through a herms coil

Brewing for the first time on my eherms bottom drain keg MLT Saturday should I be worried about not having a stand? It is a bottom drain so I'm not sure. Not trying to hijack this thread

As the Op I would like say thanks to everyone for their info.

I would buy from Jaybird in a second but I have access to a state of the art machine shop and the material is free. All I have to pay for is the hinges. Which by the way I have no idea where to find SS ones.

Oh and I do plan on recirculating through the mash via pump.

I will add that I run a RIMS system with a bottom drain keggle mashtun recirculated with a march pump. If i were to try and make a stand I would just enlarge a few holes and run some ss machine screws through the fb to the bottom of the keg and be done

Back