Priming weizens to 4 vols: has a bottle ever exploded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmorrison

Reaction score
There's a lot of disagreement over how much carbonation is right for weizens. More importantly, there's the question of whether 4 vol bottle will explode. Has this happened to anyone?

I've got some 4 vol hefe in my cellar right now, and I'm worried to touch it. But if my memory serves, I've made weizens at 4 vols in the past without incident.

(for anybody wondering, some beer calculators use 4 vols as the average carb level for weizens).

Alot of this depends on the bottle that it is stored in. For example, heavier guage Belgian Bottles would likely be fine, but thinner American bottles might not be. 4 is a little high, but it isn't outrageous.

4 is pushing it, I think. Many have done it with no issues; some have not been so lucky. Really depends on the bottle - not all standard 12oz longnecks are created equal.

I've found 3 vols to be plenty sufficient for my hefes. And I don't have to flinch when I open them.

There's a pretty good size thread on this somewhere. I tested a bottle of one of the big commercial guys and it was up around 4. Paulaner maybe?

Latest posts

Back