Change in ferm temp bad for Premier Cuvee?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerthoven

Reaction score
I started a wine kit on Saturday using Red Star Premier Cuvee, which was provided with the kit. It is sitting at 78 degrees in my basement, and fermentation has just kicked off pretty good today. As a rule, I prefer to ferment things on the cool side, and 78 seems a bit warm. I'd like to move the wine to my fermentation cooler, which is at 60 degrees, to finish out fementing and conditioning. Will moving it from a 78 degree environment to a 60 degree environment cause fermentation to stall with this yeast? The tech sheet says Premier Cuvee will ferment well between 45 and 95 degrees, but I'm worried about the 18 degree drop in temp. Thoughts?

It would depend on how fast the must would drop from 78 to 60. Too quick and it could shock the yeast. I'd raise the temp in the chamber to 70 and run it like that for a couple days then drop it 5 degrees a day till you hit 60.

It's a very resilient yeast and should be ok. It will take a while for the temperature to drop, so I don't think any "shocking" of the yeast can occur.

That said, 78 is fine for that yeast strain. So is 60 degrees. It's got a wide temperature range and it'll be fine either way.

Thanks for the replies. I will move the wine to the cooler. I can't raise the temp in there right now because of my beer fermentation schedule, but it sounds like it won't be a problem. :)

Back