carbing bottle w/ DME

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisS

I like cold beverages
Reaction score
This post may end up being part question and part rant, but here goes.

Went to the LHBS to pick up some bottles and when checking out I asked the guy running the register how to carb bottles with DME. The guy looks at me and says "I'm an all grain brewer so I don't know anything about DME". He then said to just prime with sugar. If the guy had said that he kegs and doesn't know anything about bottling with DME then I might not have the feeling that this guy has an elitist attitude about his hobby. I don’t know maybe I am just taking it the wrong way.

So anyway… If I am going to use DME to carb up my beer, do I add it directly to the wort dry in the bottling bucket or make up a simple syrup and then add that to the bucket with the wort like I would with sugar?

That guy did you and his store a disservice...idiot. :mad:

If you use DME for priming you'll need 1 1/4 C of DME boiled in 2 C water for 5 mins.

If you prime with Corn Sugar you'll only need 3/4 C.

Add it to your bottling bucket before racking from the secondary. It'll mix during the transfer, but I always give it a SLOW stir or two, bottle about 10 bottles and re-stir. :D

Back