Fast and Furious

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrasy

Reaction score
Well I cooked up a batch of Weissbier on Saturday. By Sunday morning I had beer all over my floor because I didn't hook up a blow off tube, I just put an airlock on it thinking it wouldn't start overflowing for at least 48 hours. But by Monday morning I have hardly any activity, maybe 1 bubble through the airlock every 60 seconds. I haven't checked the gravity after pitching but I haven't experienced this before, such a quick activation of the yeast and then such a fast drop off. Has anyone seen this? Is this a sign of possible contamination for it to reside so quickly? I'm using Wyeast 1010 am wheat for the first time.

It's probably fine. I've had beers ferment out in under 48 hours. If you're airlock's still bubbling (even 1/min) there's probably a couple points of gravity left to ferment. Wait until 1 week and check the gravity.

Just had someting similar happen with a steam beer using dry yeast....brewed it up Friday night, Saturday the airlock was bubbling away, Sunday the activity was next to nothing. My gravity readings tell me it is pretty much fermented out. My gut, and my friends here at HBT tell me everything is normal. Racked it to a secondary so now I'm just letting it mellow a little more before bottling.
I'm guessing you're in pretty good shape. Let it go for a few more days and check it. In the meantime, RDWHAHB!

I recently brewed one as well. I used Safebrew T58 dry yeast. My OG was 1.043 and I reached TG of 1.011 in about three and a half days. It's the first time I've ever had a Weissbier so I'm not really sure how it's supposed to taste. Are you supposed to mix in the yeast like you do with a Hefe'? I'd agree with everyone else. Don't sweat it. Check gravity a couple days and when you reach TG transfer to secondary or just bottle.

Sometimes I use Windsor dry yeast. That stuff is one fast fermenting mo' fo'. Usually done within 24 hours. Brew was excellent.

if the OG wasn't real high, and you had mid 70's or higher fermentation temps...yeah it could easily do 99% of primary in 48 hours.

I think that was part of my problem....this was my first batch in a new house. I finally got a thermometer to monitor the temp around the area where my fermenter is. The closet I chose is holding at 77 degrees. I know it's only a couple degreees higher than the high limits I've read here (60-75), but I'm still gonna see if I can find a cooler spot. I guess I finally found a drawback to this sunny Florida weather!!!!!

malkore said:
if the OG wasn't real high, and you had mid 70's or higher fermentation temps...yeah it could easily do 99% of primary in 48 hours.
Well my OG was 1.045 and the pitching temp was 70 and actually climbed to 75 overnight.

Back