Wort chiller copper tubing size.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonbomb

Reaction score
My uncle has a bunch of copper coiling at his disposal and is not going to charge me anything for a wort chiller. So I desribed it to him how it work and he is making one for me. Now he didnt have access to 3/8" tubing so he said he had to get 1/4" is that to much ?? is thinks it is.

1/4" is too small, go for 3/8" or 1/2". My recommendation is to get about 50' and use 30' for the wort chiller and 20' for the pre-chiller.

Having the pre-chiller will seriously speed up your cooling process because the water will be ~35F flowing into the wort chiller instead of ~76F.

1/4" is too small, go for 3/8" or 1/2". My recommendation is to get about 50' and use 30' for the wort chiller and 20' for the pre-chiller.

Having the pre-chiller will seriously speed up your cooling process because the water will be ~35F flowing into the wort chiller instead of ~76F.

Or go the pond pump route and pump ice water directly into 50' of chiller. Start recirculating when the wort temp reaches around 100...

It helps conserve a little bit of water...

never heard of a pre chiller... hows that work??

basically the same as a wort chiller but you put the copper coils in an ice bath on the same tubing before it goes into the wort. so the water coming from the pre chiller is much colder going into the wort.

Back