Gluten Free Experimental (Pale?) Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirateboy

Reaction score
approx 1lb Quinoa (roasted in oven at 350 for 30min)
approx 1lb Millet (roasted in oven at 350 for 30min)
7lb Brewcraft Sorghum Syrup
60min - 2oz Cascade
45min - approx 1oz Cascade
20min - 1oz licorice root
15min - approx 1oz Cascade
5min - approx 1oz Willamette
End of Boil approx 1oz Willamette

I'll start by saying this is only the second beer I've ever brewed and the first that I've ever made up a recipe for. So I really have no idea what's going to happen. My room mate is allergic to gluten so I told her I'd try to make something along the lines of a gluten free Pale Ale/IPA. This is what I came up with. Please let me know what you think!

I started by roasting the quinoa and the millet in the oven at 350. The cookie sheet disappeared so I used a 9x9 pan for the millet and a bread pan for the quinoa. This worked ok, but i had to stir things up a bit every so often to make sure everything was (somewhat) evenly toasted.

I then steeped the grain at 158 for 40min. The idea behind this was primarily additional flavor/texture. I wasn't sure if this would really contribute to final alcohol content, though I wouldn't be bummed if it did.

Hops measurements are approximate because they were in 2oz packages and I just eyeballed what looked to be about half. Sorry, I forgot to write down alpha.

I have no idea what to expect with the licorice root. Haha. I saw it in the brew store, thought "hmm, i like licorice. why not?" and that was about as far as the thought process went. It actually didn't smell anything like I expected (not at all like licorice).

So I'm thinking about 10 days in primary? Then 21+ in secondary?

I'm also thinking of dry hopping 2oz of Willamette when I transfer to secondary just to add that extra zing.

Please tell me what you think!

Two things:

1.) The Recipe Database is for Tried and True recipes. If you haven't successfully brewed this beer, it should go in the Recipes/Ingredients forum.

2.) I'm interested in how this turns out, as I'm looking at making a GF beer for my Wife.
Keep us posted.

Back