Belgian Strong Cane Sugar or Candy Sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hbhudy

Reaction score
Totally newb.. question, but i looking to make a strong belgian ale that calls for cane sugar, but I was hoping to replace with belgian candy sugar. Does anyone know if you can replace cane sugar with belgian candy sugar?

I know many will think this is a odd question, but I can not seem to find if I can make this type of a replacement. This will be for 3# of cane sugar...

Thanks--:confused:

Why do you want to replace it with Belgian candy sugar? I have made a few Belgians with sugar and have not found any information that supports a distinction in the flavors to support the need for candi sugar except with the darker sugars as a result of the melanoidin effect.
I personally wouldn't go through the trouble, just use whatever sugar you have on hand. But that's just me.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com

www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Here is a quote from wiki about Belgian candi sugar...
"A Belgian sugar used in brewing, especially stronger beers such as dubbel and trippel; basically this is an invert sugar, i.e. one that has been converted from sucrose to a mixture of fructose and glucose by heating with water and some acid, usually citric acid. It is used to boost the alcohol content without adding extra body to the beer and without forcing the yeast to produce invertase, which some drinkers claim adds an undesirable taste to the beer."

Just from a personal experience, this process does nothing to introduce defining "Belgian" character to the beer. I have made enough with Candi and with plain ol' sugar to know that you will not taste a difference. Save youself the trouble and get the cane or for that matter beet sugar to make your Belgian.
Just my 2cents worth.
mark
www.backyardbrewer.blogspot.com
www.thebackyardbrewer.com

Back