2000 ml glass flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea. They are borosilicate glass. You can boil and chill in them. They are great for making starters since the boiling sterilizes the inside.

I'm going to hire a hitman for my chem lab and loot all of these.

The hitman will also have to take care of ALF behind the counter, but then I'll be set for life.

just to be sure, because folks are insane, the above was in total comedy...

Also, ALF is just reruns now, so how could it not be?

I was just being picky because since there is no hops it's not really beer.

but for all intents and purposes it is :D

flavorwise it would be more malt liquory.

you've inspired me to now drink my starters after refrigerating. it's alcohol! I've been decanting by pouring down the drain what was I thinking!

I read on Northernbrewers web site that you can use the flasks on NG and electric flat-top range tops but not on electric coil type ranges. I think it has something to do with uneven heating of the element on the glass resulting in breakage. I hope someone who uses them in a lab will chime in on this because I would like to boil starter in one but I have a coil element stove top.

I read on Northernbrewers web site that you can use the flasks on NG and electric flat-top range tops but not on electric coil type ranges. I think it has something to do with uneven heating of the element on the glass resulting in breakage. I hope someone who uses them in a lab will chime in on this because I would like to boil starter in one but I have a coil element stove top.

put the flask inside a sturdy bug pot. it should be good enough to spread the heat a little more evenly for ya

These are both true.

Also, don't go straight from burner to ice bath....borosilicate is sturdy, but it won't stand up to those types of extremes for long...give it a few to cool off a bit first.

Finally, Fermcap-S makes for worry free boiling in a flask....otherwise you are just BEGGING for a volcano.

I just made a starter a few days ago. It was my first time with a flask. I KNEW it was supposed to be OK to boil in it then dunk it cold water........But that first time is still pretty scary! :)

didn't know that...
do you guys put the dme in at the beginning or after the boil?

Dissolve the DME in the water before you boil it. The easiest way to do this is heat some water in a pan and dissolve the DME in it, then when it's completely dissolved but not yet boiling, pour it into the flask. A funnel helps with this step a lot. Then put the flask on the burner and bring it up to a boil for 10-15 minutes. Take care to avoid a boilover which can make a heck of a mess on your stove.

When using an electric stove with the coil type elements you will want to use a trivet between the flask and the coils. A trivet is simply a grate made from wire. You can make your own from a wire coat hanger. I use a grate salvaged from a gas stove and simply place it on the electric stove coil instead of a wire trivet, but anything similar will work. You may get away with placing the flask directly on the coils, but sooner or later the flask will likely crack.

You can cool the flask in water right after the boil, but I would not use ice water at the start. Most times I let the flask cool on it's own for 15-20 minutes before putting it in the water, just to be on the safe side. I haven't cracked a flask so far and I've been doing it this way for years.

One of the foam control products really helps to avoid boilovers. I use it routinely and liberally. I also add yeast nutrient to the flask with the DME. Do this before the boil, and never during the boil. Adding it during the boil can make it go volcanic. You will only do that once and never again. I guarantee it!

I have a friend that cracked a 2000 ml flask a few months ago by setting it down hot on a bench that had a drop of water on it. Since he was boiling acid and not water, the temp at that point was 300 deg. C and not 100 deg. C which probably made the difference.

put the flask inside a sturdy bug pot. it should be good enough to spread the heat a little more evenly for ya

What is a bug pot? I've never heard that term before, but we don't cook bugs much up this way.

Flasks boil over in an instant though. You have to be very careful.
I actually find it easier to boil in a pot on the stove and then transfer the wort to the flask. The extra work is much less work than cleaning up a boilover.

Flasks boil over in an instant though. You have to be very careful.
I actually find it easier to boil in a pot on the stove and then transfer the wort to the flask. The extra work is much less work than cleaning up a boilover.

Thats why Fermcap is the greatest thing ever invented...ever. Use it, and boil overs will be a thing of the past.

Thats why Fermcap is the greatest thing ever invented...ever. Use it, and boil overs will be a thing of the past.

+1, but you can still have a boil over even when using foam control. It does help tremendously, but it's not a 100% guarantee.

Back to the bug pot. What is a bug pot?

Duh.

gcandlepotladybug.jpg

I know that a "Mud Bug" is slang for a crawdad or crayfish in the south so I was assuming that we were talking about a big sturdy fish boil pot/stock pot. I have also heard Lobsters refered to as bugs. If you think about it they are all arthropods like spiders and bugs. (showing off my wifes biology knowledge)

I set a cast iron skillet on top of my electric stove and then set the flask inside the skillet. That seems to keep the heat even and has the added bonus of catching any boil over there may be.

I know that a "Mud Bug" is slang for a crawdad or crayfish in the south so I was assuming that we were talking about a big sturdy fish boil pot/stock pot. I have also heard Lobsters refered to as bugs. If you think about it they are all arthropods like spiders and bugs. (showing off my wifes biology knowledge)

That is likely the correct answer. Yes, a bug pot might be a reference to a lobster boiling kettle. That should have registered with me as I used to do a lot of diving for "bugs".

I set a cast iron skillet on top of my electric stove and then set the flask inside the skillet. That seems to keep the heat even and has the added bonus of catching any boil over there may be.

This is an excellent idea. Especially for the bonus feature of catching any possible boil over wort. It's not fun cleaning up the stove after that happens and sooner or later it usually does.

Haha, that's what I do too. I got a new cast iron for Christmas and my first thought was, "This would be excellent to stick a flask in for starters"... then again I'm probably a little nutty.

That is likely the correct answer. Yes, a bug pot might be a reference to a lobster boiling kettle. That should have registered with me as I used to do a lot of diving for "bugs".

I might be missing ya'll joking but I think it is just a misspelling of the word "big"

Back