Simple question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOmite

Reaction score
Does partial mash just entailed reducing the amount of extract and replacing it with fermentable grains?

I have found all kinds of recipes online that claim to be partial mashing recipes, but they look use only a pound or two of specialty grains and then the rest is all extract. How is that partial mash? Is more a technique rather than a recipe thing?

I always thought it meant you reduced your extract and then added 2row or something and then some specialty grains..no? As in you not doing half extract half grain brewing rather than choosing a side.

Yeah, its part extract/ part grain. If you are just steeping specialty grains it is not a PM. In a PM your are mashing the grain in order to extract the sugars. I think its a good way to convert to all grain brewing. I just finished my 2nd PM. It did not go so well but its still fun.

To be a partial mash it has to include some base grains (and of course an actual mash has to be performed). If it's only specialty grains then it's a steeping recipe. Sounds like you know the difference, but I do see some folks using the terms interchangeably (and incorrectly).

Back