Hop Tea for Bitterness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixie

Reaction score
So I was reading around a bit for a hop tea that is used for adding bitterness, but all I managed to find was hop tea used for aroma. I have a pale ale that had a way higher OG than I expected and drowned out most of the bitterness. The aroma and taste are spot on but it needs more hops on the bitter end of things. I was just wondering if I could mix of some tea for this purpose? Can anyone enlighten me? (Or a least point me in the right direction.)
My OG was 1.061 FG 1.014 IBUs 32

The trick is that bittering from hops requires not steeping like the hop tea does, but rather a long boil extracting and isomerizing the acids, which is why bittering hops go in the boil for sixty minutes. That said, I'm not sure of an easy fix for your issue.

In theory you could boil some high AA hops for an hour in water, then boil that down to concentrate them more so it minimizes dropping the gravity of your beer. I don't know what side effects(tannins, etc) that might have. And as I write this, I recall I've also seen "hop extract" sold at some supply sites, though it's not cheap.($35 for an ounce on morebeer, though that's a whole lot of bittering too) That would add bitterness reliably.

I have a similar problem, and from my research the pre isomerized hop extract (isohop at morebeer) seems to be the best alternative. Though I don't know personally the results you would get. In a week I will be trying the product hopshot but it is not isomerized so I will try to boil it for 1 hr with my priming sugar, but I don't know what result this will have. This extract seems to be more for flavor and aroma, and the isohop is for bittering.

Boiling some hops in a quart of water for an hour is all you need to do. You can about 10 IBUs this way. Any more and you should look into bittering extracts.

Boiling some hops in a quart of water for an hour is all you need to do. You can about 10 IBUs this way. Any more and you should look into bittering extracts.
This seems like the easiest method and 10 extra IBUs would be perfect. How many oz of hops should I use. I was thinking 1 oz.

In order to test their viablility, I recently tried this with some older (1 year) hops given to me. It turned the water a medium amber color. Is this normal? I'd hate for this to impart any extraneous color to, say, a lighter SRM beer.

I think I will try the 2oz's of hops and see how it works. If it is a little to bitter oh well I am a hop head any way. Thanks for all the advice, I will let you know how it is.

I have a similar problem, and from my research the pre isomerized hop extract (isohop at morebeer) seems to be the best alternative. Though I don't know personally the results you would get. In a week I will be trying the product hopshot but it is not isomerized so I will try to boil it for 1 hr with my priming sugar, but I don't know what result this will have. This extract seems to be more for flavor and aroma, and the isohop is for bittering.

I'd wait 45 min or so into the boil before adding the priming sugar. Not an expert, but I think isomerization drops as the SG increases.

Back