Need help with some parts for keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
In need of a good hardware site..

II need to pick up some silicone o-rings to fix a leak and some pieces to make a pick up tube.

I currently have a pick up tube made out of silicone tubing, which seemed to work great on the test run with water but I'm worried about longevity so I want to construct something out of a single piece of copper tubing.

The weldless bulkhead is 1/2.

The Lowe's and Home Depot I have around here don't seem to carry to much so thats why I'm looking online.

Any help on what compression fitting I would need along with a short piece of copper tubing would be greatly appreciated.

The silicone o-rings can be purchased online from McMaster-Carr (a bag of 50 I think). My home depot carries a 1/2 inch male NPT to 5/8 tubing compression fitting that is made of brass.
If you are concerned about using brass you can get a stainless 1/2 inch male NPT to 1/2 OD compression fitting from More beer or McMaster-Carr. I do not think this will work with copper tubing since it is 1/2 inch ID. However, Morebeer carries a stainless steel pickup tube for $10 that works with the stainless 1/2 inch compression fitting. They also sell a 10 inch mesh screen/flase bottom. I hope this helps. Someone else may be aware of something different.

thanks Labrat.

Thanks for the morebeer reference regarding the pickup tube. I'm thinking that may be my best option for a pick up tube since i can't find any short lengths of copper. Any idea how close it gets to the bottom of the keg? This is going to be for my kettle, so i won't be using a false bottom.

I'm thinking I can order the pickup tube from them and rest of the parts from mcmaster. I couldn't remember that site for the lift of me..lol

ok, just went to mcmaster and found the o-rings i need, but i'm not finding the compression fittings.

I see morebeer sells it for $16, but not really wanting to spend that much for the SS.

Any help in finding the correct compression fitting from mcmaster?

*edit* also, for the o-rings is it ok to go with the thickest possible? 3/16 vs 1/8. Was gonna go with the 3/16 since i really don't need 50 of the 1/8's and figured a thicker seal might be better.

still curious about the o-ring question, but i think i found the compression fitting.

lmk if this sounds like the right one. if it is, i'll just order from morebeer since it's cheaper through them.

Part Number: 8239K26 $17.06 Each
Shape
Adapter

Adapter Type
Male Pipe Adapter

Material
Stainless Steel

Material Detail
Forged or bar stock Type 316 stainless steel; the nut has a molybdenum disulfide coating that acts as a lubricant for easy installation

Fittings Include
Body, nut, and sleeve (ferrule)

Compression Fitting Type
Single-Sleeved Compression

Single-Sleeved Compression Type
Quick-Assembly

For Outside Tube Diameter
1/2"

Tube Wall Thickness
0.035"

Pipe Thread
NPT Male

Pipe Size
1/2"

Nut/Tube End Thread
3/4"-20 UNF

Maximum Pressure
2,100 psi @ 72° F

Maximum Pressure Note
Maximum pressure is based on Type 304 and 316 annealed stainless steel welded tubing made to ASTM A213, A249, or A269. Note that ratings for seamless tubing are approximately 15-20% higher depending on tube size.

Operating Temperature Range
-425° to +1200° F

For Tubing Type
Stainless Steel

What size?

It's for a stupid mistake I made so I had to use a bolt to fill a hole. The bolt is 7/16 and i'm tried some 7/16 regular o-rings but they kinda melted away..lol

Pretty awesome of ya man.. really appreciate it.

It may be easier to just get both the stainless compression fitting and the tube from More beer. This way you know they will work together. I think if you spend over 70 bucks you get free shipiing. This always convinces me to keep filling the shopping cart. The depth that the tube reaches will be based on how low the hole in the side of the keg is. You can actually use the 1/2 male side of the compression to jut thru the wall of the keg and use that instead of your bulkhead. This places the tube still in the lower circular depression of the keg but not directly in the center.

The cheapest way to go is with the brass compression fitting and a 1/2 inch stub out that is already an elbow. This will involve using brass in your boil kettle. Your decision.

Labrat said:
It may be easier to just get both the stainless compression fitting and the tube from More beer. This way you know they will work together. I think if you spend over 70 bucks you get free shipiing. This always convinces me to keep filling the shopping cart. The depth that the tube reaches will be based on how low the hole in the side of the keg is. You can actually use the 1/2 male side of the compression to jut thru the wall of the keg and use that instead of your bulkhead. This places the tube still in the lower circular depression of the keg but not directly in the center.

The cheapest way to go is with the brass compression fitting and a 1/2 inch stub out that is already an elbow. This will involve using brass in your boil kettle. Your decision.

yea, i ended up just getting the fitting and tube from morebeer. like you, i managed to fill my cart enough to get free shipping.

thanks

Back