Belgian Dubbel - Is this normal behavior?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eurc51

Reaction score
I'm working on a Belgian Dubbel. This is my third beer overall and my first "big beer". I came home from work today and immediately ran upstairs to check on it in its third day of fermentation. I was surprised by what I saw. The yeast cake, which had started to fall in day 2, was back in full force and even bigger than before. And, it changed from the nice smooth golden Guinness head color to a lumpy brownish green color. The beer also changed color from a deep brown to an orangish-brown. Through the carboy I could see a lot of activity and movement. The yeast cake itself was actually bubbling in spots. The carboy thermometer is reading 73 - up from 70 in day two. So, is this normal? I thought fermentation was on the down-swing and now my carboy seems like it is about to explode and my bedroom smells like a brewery. I'm hoping this is a good sign and I have one angry beer brewing. Thoughts? (recipe below)

Thanks again,

eurc51

Specialty Grains
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Caramunich
0.25 lbs. Dingemans Special B

Fermentables
6.3 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
1 lbs. Golden Light Dry Malt Extract
1 lbs. Dark Belgian Candi Sugar

Boil Additions
1 oz. Spalt (60 min)
1 oz. Saaz (1 min)

Yeast
Wyeast #1214 Belgian Ale Yeast. Abbey-style top-fermenting yeast, suitable for high-gravity beers. Estery. Flocculation: medium. Apparent attenuation: 72-76%. Optimum temperature: 58-68.

Belgian strains can take off like mad. Hold on tight with both hands and ride this bucking bronco till it's done.

Try not to let it cool down (air temp) since cooling a belgian strain when it is roaring will often make it crash.

Back