Light Duty Flasks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had no problems moving from hot to cold temperatures. The only issue I have is with regulating the heat just right to keep the starter wort from foaming out the top when boiling.

McKBrew said:
I have had no problems moving from hot to cold temperatures. The only issue I have is with regulating the heat just right to keep the starter wort from foaming out the top when boiling.
I bought a flask as well and gave it up because it would foam out and was a general PITA. I boil and cool in a pot then transfer to a apple juice 1500 ml container.

Yeast_Starter.jpg

I still use it to ferment the starter, but have pretty much given up on the boiling aspect.

To the original poster, unless you really want one, I'd just use a glass jar. Boil the starter in a pan, and to cool quickly just put it in a large bowl of ice water and stir.

Liquidicem said:
I know a few of you use light duty flasks for making starters. What are your thoughts on these? Do they hold up well being heated on the stove and moved directly into an ice bath? From the description it sounds like the are just a little less shock resistant.

This is the type I'm talking about
Vs something heavy duty like this.

I use those light duty flasks without any issues. I boil on the stove with my 2l and before I add my DME, I turn down the heat to a very, very slow boil and add the DME slowly.

Once the DME is added i keep the heat very low, low enough to keep a small roiling boil and once the 15mins have elapsed it gets foil on the top and into the fridge.

Once it reaches temp I pitch my yeast.

personally i like the ability of being able to dunk my pyrex flask right into cold water. transferring from pot to starter vessel just adds one more spot you can contaminate your batch. i've never used the "light" flasks so i don't know how they hold up, but for 7 bucks extra i'd just go for the good stuff as it will work for you in any situation.

Two words: Foam Control. This stuff is awesome. One drop in an Erlenmeyer and it is a lot harder to achieve boilover. Boil for fifteen minutes and you can be sure that the works are clean for your yeast.

scottfro said:
personally i like the ability of being able to dunk my pyrex flask right into cold water. transferring from pot to starter vessel just adds one more spot you can contaminate your batch. i've never used the "light" flasks so i don't know how they hold up, but for 7 bucks extra i'd just go for the good stuff as it will work for you in any situation.

I'm with you, there.

TL

Back