First stuck Ferm. Which yeast to repitch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
Good evening all. I have had my first stuck fermentation. I have tried swirling, heating and all that and nothing. I have yeast to repitch but not sure which of the two to use. I have Belle Saison and I have EC-1118. Appreciate any insight.

O.G. 1.057
Current Gravity: 1.028

Perhaps it may help to provide more information on what you are brewing and your process.

Was it all grain? If so what mash temperature did you have?
What yeast strain was pitched, was there a starter made and how many viable cells did you pitch? What temperatures has the fermentation taken place under?

I just wonder if this is yeast issue or something relating to the mash and the resultant amount of unfermentable sugars in the wort.

All grain mash temp were at 150.
It is a belgian blonde using WLP530
I aerated the wort using the shake to carboy method.
Fermentation started at 68 and then after four days I brought the temp up to 86. it sat at 86 for two weeks. I did not make a starter for this beer unfortunately .

Wine yeast will do nothing for beer.

Edit: I take that back. It will not accomplish what you're hoping to accomplish (i.e. finish a stuck fermentation). I can provide a method of carbonating a high ABV beer that's too inhospitable to beer yeasts.

If you have the means that I would look at building up a starter and pitching it at high krausen (at 75F), into a warmed beer (~75F), and maintaining this temperature for a week or more. Pick a highly attenuating strain that can tolerate high gravity. It seems like the Belle Saison fits the bill for the most part, but I WOULD look at getting that stuff into a high krausen state prior to pitching the entire starter.

I have yet to use it but the Belle looks to be a monster with reports of 90% attenuation. Might be the right yeast to finish the job.

If I could suggest: maybe brew your next batch and pitch on that yeast cake to clean up the stuck fermentation. See this HBT PSA on stuck fermentations.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/psa-foolproof-stuck-ferment-fixer-72072/

Yeah I did see that but unfortunately I can't with this beer. I am doing an exchange in four weeks. and I don't have a yeast cake as I only brew every other month or so. I guess I need to start brewing some more :D

Yeah I did see that but unfortunately I can't with this beer. I am doing an exchange in four weeks. and I don't have a yeast cake as I only brew every other month or so. I guess I need to start brewing some more :D

So this is what you can do: rehydrate, aerate and pitch the Belle Saison. Belle likes it a little warmer. Just hope she's hungry and don't mind wading into some others yeasts boze. Good Luck Vive la La Belle! Vive La Beer!

So this is what you can do: rehydrate, aerate and pitch the Belle Saison. Belle likes it a little warmer. Just hope she's hungry and don't mind wading into some others yeasts boze. Good Luck Vive la La Belle! Vive La Beer!

Well this is what I did. Do I want to aerate though? Fingers crossed. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back