Pumpkin Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saxmk6

Reaction score
Just a fast question:

Has anyone ever brewed a pumpkin ale using pumpkin pie mix?

If so what did you think?

Thanks Joe:mug:

I've heard using canned pumpkin is awful too b/c it is a pain to strain it all out.

I plan on brewing a pumpkin ale soon and adding real pumpkin to the secondary (SmuttyNose Brewery recommendation) with a few dried spices (very little) and let it sit in secondary for a few weeks. I don't have a specific recipe though.

I've made two beers with canned pumpkin, the first was great, and I just bottled the second and I think it will be even better. I add the pumpkin with 10 mins. left in the boil and don't strain it before adding it to primary, then leave the pumpkin behind when I rack to secondary. You just have to adjust your final volume, because you'll leave almost a gallon behind in primary when you rack.

Real pumpkin should work just as well, I think it's just a personal preference.

TheH2 said:
I've heard using canned pumpkin is awful too b/c it is a pain to strain it all out.

I plan on brewing a pumpkin ale soon and adding real pumpkin to the secondary (SmuttyNose Brewery recommendation) with a few dried spices (very little) and let it sit in secondary for a few weeks. I don't have a specific recipe though.

I used canned pumpkin this weekend. It pretty much all dissolves when it's hot....I put in for a 60 minute boil....as per Yuri's recipe. However, in the carboy, it's settled out and i have several inches of trub.

I don't see canned pumpkin causing an issue. It actually seems quite easy and convenient.

I just made one yesterday. Used 2 cans (30 oz) of Libby's 100% Pumpkin. Decided to mash the pumpkin instead of boil it. It made the sparge VERY slow, but I collected enough wort and ended up overshooting my target OG by a little.

After the boil with the spices added, it smells like pumpkin pie!

Back