Partial mash / BIAB + pH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tanduk

Reaction score
We are on a well and I've just learned that our water is very acidic. Using pH test strips it doesn't even register. We've actually just ordered an acid neutralizer filter to raise the ph to the 6.xx range. In the past I have always used bottled spring water for partial mash. don't see the point to have water tested since everything will change next week when the filter is installed. I'll have it tested after the filter is in place to give me the starting numbers.

I've done several extract/partial mash brews with the bottled water and have had great results.

Brewing up a porter tomorrow and would like some advice about the water. I've been doing some reading about pH for mashing and what I understand is that 5.2 is the target. My question is: Is 5.2 the target after the grains are added or before? From what I read it sounds like the grains will change the pH. Darker grains lower the pH more than lighter grains. My mash will be 4lbs maris otter. The chrystals have been cold steeping since yesterday and will add the extracted liquid at boil.

Any info/advice would be appreciated.

Back