What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to pull the trigger on a nitro setup today and also buy some random odds and ends I need as well as ingredients for my next 3 or 4 brews. :rockin:

Harvested hops! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409172918.732522.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Package my Bluebird Bitter clone and English Summer Ale, each 60/40 between polypins and bottles (three 1 gallon polypins and just shy of a case of bottles of each), and now washing out the yeast from the English Summer Ale for this weekend's English IPA.

I checked the Imperial Red Ale for FG. It's definitely high ABV from the taste of the sample! LOL. I look forward to seeing if it's done fermenting at the next sample reading.

Cleaned/sanitized a few empty kegs, and now I'm gathering everything to brew a batch.

Awesome evening yesterday. CL score: a used True TDD-2 commercial kegerator. Borrowed a buddy's truck. Picked it up and got my buddy to help me move it into the basement-bar-to-be. Happily paid back with a fuel tank top-off and a few choice bottles of HB.

Planning to replace the two SS towers, lines and faucets with DIY blackpipe tap gang (add another brewery project to the list!).

Watched more bubbles . . .

I wish there were a way to ferment a batch to completion in like 2 days

Got my freezer set up with a temperature controller. Cold crashing an Apfelwein.

Just got done ordering the ingredients for the new, improved version of my PM dampfbier. Color & flavors should be a lot closer to the German/Bavarian original.

My vacuum sealer killed out on me... Really don't want to put out the dough, so might just freezer bag them and use quickly... Kinda like, do I want to spend $100 on a new sealer, or $100 at hop shop and get 5-7# delivered? Oh decisions...

Cleaned two kegs that kicked almost simultaneously.
Hooked up my Ultra ESB for serving.
Cleaned up around my brewery in prep for brewing Monday.

Kegged and bottled ten gallons, did up 8 pickle jars. One of which got a Hallertau leaf ImageUploadedByHome Brew1409435406.249667.jpghop addition in the boil.

I did ipa pickles a few weeks back. Not as good as I hoped they would be, but good nonetheless. Next time I'm using white vinegar instead of apple cider vinegar.

Today I assembled a rolling platform for my top tier brewing structure so I can move it in and out of the garage more easily. It is supposed to hold 500 lbs but I am dubious.

I also transferred two pale ales for dry hopping, one with california ale yeast and the other with a Belgian yeast I recovered from Pranqster. I have never had it go banana flavor before. I guess it's morphing.

Got the lager yeast starter going. With time being at a bit of a premium this weekend it'll be 48 hours in the flask before pitching into extract brew. Thinking it will be a black lager.

Brewed a milk stout, kegged a saison, racked my quad off of the cherries for some more bulk aging and filled a few belgian bottles with the overflow. Still need to bottle the overflow from the saison.
Not beer but i also racked a batch of skeeter pee.
Busy, busy.:rockin:

Fixed the comp chair a lil bit ago. Nearly done with the second last chapter of a rewrite of my first book about a home brewer trapped in a world gone mad. Put some more home brews on ice for BBQ tomorrow. Scrubbed fermenter I've been soaking in PBW.

Brewed a Black IPA extract and a Surly Cynic partial mash... both from NB. First time mashing anything other than a potato. We'll see how this goes. :rockin:

I've made both of those. The Surly Cynic was great, even though we didn't do a good job with technique. We brewed the black IPA twice. First time was great. Second time, not so much. I think it's because I don't have good temp control.

Fixed the comp chair a lil bit ago. Nearly done with the second last chapter of a rewrite of my first book about a home brewer trapped in a world gone mad. Put some more home brews on ice for BBQ tomorrow. Scrubbed fermenter I've been soaking in PBW.

I gotta see this book!! Are you going to publish? re: beer, making a starter for next week's brew (gonna do a few step ups to get that yeast screaming for fermentables! Just bought pump #2 from Brewhardware.com (thank.you Bobby_M). Have 10 gals of RyeIPA ready to keg, but I think I'll wait until tomorrow.

Built two wooden beer crates, and made a jig to make building the dividers super-easy so I can really crank them out now.

I liberated a 5 gallon better bottle from my fiancee's aunt's house. Was helping put new light bulbs in her basement and came across it and she said if I find any other supplies they used to use for wine I could keep them.

Back