Syracuse, ny - round 5 group grain buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have read the sticky and also seen some you tube videos of people washing yeast. I've also read other discussions on just reusing yeast. I captured (into sterilized mason jars in my fridge) the yeast from my SNPA clone (last weekend) and was going to try reusing it tomorrow on a victory hop devil clone. I was originally going to brew last weekend but scored some local hops and have been busy all week drying and vacuum sealing them (almost done). So, tomorrow (hopefully) I will be able to give this a test. I have some us-05 in the refrigerator as backup if I don't see fermentation action after 24 hours or so.

I would wait about 3-5 days before you pitch the safale 05. You might not get your pitch rate right, so it might lag (until you get used to using washed yeast). If you just washed the stuff a few weeks ago there is no way that it is not viable. I love the utility of mason jars. I use them for damn near anything!

You should see my yeast refridge, it has a ton of stuff. Now I very rarely have to build starters - which is great because I was doing that before each batch prior to washing my yeast. Drove my wife nuts to have to experience something to do with beer making every darn day of the week! That said,... I did just start a 3787 and 2001 yeast that will be stepped up to 4-5 quart starters this week. Doing a lager and a belgian golden soon.

I would wait about 3-5 days before you pitch the safale 05.

Will do. I finished up my brew day today about 5:00pm. This was my first time using a wort (immersion) chiller, what a difference in time to get it chilled (I was able to chill the wort to 68 degrees in about 13-15 minutes.) Oh yeah, I had two major screw ups today. One was that one of the clamps wasn't properly on, and when I turned the water the chiller on I got water (very hot) coming out over me and into the wort. It wasn't much, it was hot, and I figure I can't do much about it, so I am assuming the water was sterile "enough" that went flying into the wort. (I guess I will find out in a few weeks.) The other f.u. was that my OG reading was 1.064 vs the expected 1.073. This means my efficiency this go around was a blistering 59% vs. 67% the previous go around (where I was right on target both on OG and FG.). I'm guessing the issue was either 1) this grain was crushed at the local hbs and wasn't quite right vs. the grain crushed at your house or 2) (much more likely) this was a "bigger" beer than the AG I did previously. I had trouble in the batch sparge stage getting all of the grains submerged. 3)something else...?

I didn't measure my pre-boil SG, but did measure my first runnings and second runnings SG's. They were 1.073 and 1.032 respectively, making my calculated pre-boil SG a 1.051 (vs expected 1.063.) Given I got a little closer post boil, I guess that means my boil off rate was higher than expected?

Doing this on an electric stove sucks. I guess I will need to either do even smaller batches for higher ABV brews (bigger grain bills), or go back to adding some water post-boil (which means I will have to increase hops usage), or whatever.

I would wait about 3-5 days before you pitch the safale 05.

Just an update on this. I just checked and I've already got bubbling action in the airlock, so success on getting fermentation started while reusing the yeast. I decided to lower the temperature a little (currently at 68.5 degrees on outside of primary) as I have been trying to keep lower in the temperature range but was concerned on this one in making sure it got going (needlessly I guess).

Next question, any suggestions out there regarding recipes for my next batch to use some of the Canadian Malting Pilsen, the Bairds Munich or the Maris Otter (Thomas Fawcett) I ordered?

Thanks!

really what are you looking for, what style?

they have all their own place in recipes..

Eh, I dunno. On mainstream beers, I would buy IPA's, occasionally something like Sam Adams, Bass Ale, Newcastle. I tend to shy away from heavy duty porters and Stouts although I do have a couple porters in the fridge and have had on occasion a Guiness. In winter, I will also try some of the winter beers (with spices). Oh, and I would like to try something with the D2 you gave me! Yeah, I know that leaves things wide open.

well if you like pale or ipa's you can use either 2-row with some munich for a or do one that is all marris otter for a strong malt backbone. Iv never done one with all munich. If it were up to me, i would do an ipa with marris otter and come crystal.

so i would do this for a grain bill for a nice ipa

at 75%
og at 1.063

10 lb marris otter
.75 lb 60L
.5 lb carapils

or maybe a combination of crystals with 40L, 20L, 60L, 80L depends on what your going after and the hops that you would want to use

If you like IPas and Pales... the BYO recipes for sierras torpedo andpale ale are great. Denny's wry smile IPA is awesome too - but differnt than a typical Ipa

cidah, for your cider that you made last year, what apples and ratio did you use.. I found a hook up for me and my buddy to get cider pressed possibly

cidah, for your cider that you made last year, what apples and ratio did you use.. I found a hook up for me and my buddy to get cider pressed possibly

I used gala, red delicious, empire and jonagold in 1:1:1:1. Couple keys are, letting the fruit sit for about a week so it converts more sugar. Your thumb should dent it easily and it should smell really appley, almost overripe. Tell me what apples you have an I might be able to help with your ratio, unless you were trying to replicate the sweet cider I let you taste... that was good stuff.

Get a press if you can! Great hobby and even better if you can split the cost with a friend. I was on the hook for all my cider equipment, but was very happy when my buddy starting buying in for the beer equip!!

What kind of press are you getting?

Also, for the buy I added a split of:

GW-C135 for those interested.

Also added a bag of Pils and MO for myself!

Anybody have an unreal stout recipe? My buddy was looking for a guiness type stout to brew this weekend. I also will be looking for a milk chocolate stout too. jhenderson I can't remember which brew (maybe a stout) I had from you that was almost thick - I really liked that one. I think you said you were gonna pass me that recipe, but don't think I ever got it. If you don't mind pm it to me.

Working towards a triple brew day this weekend with the new pot added into our system. Should be very easy with three pots, and two electric... awesome.

Thanks gents!

Anyone interested in splits on these?

CM-WHET (White Wheat) 1/2 (I would also do 1/3)
BZ-CRPL (Caramel Malt Pils) 1/3
GW-C40 Crystal 40 1/3
(I'd be ok with a different brand of the above if there are strong opinions.)

Anyone interested in splits on these?

CM-WHET (White Wheat) 1/2 (I would also do 1/3)
BZ-CRPL (Caramel Malt Pils) 1/3
GW-C40 Crystal 40 1/3
(I'd be ok with a different brand of the above if there are strong opinions.)

Do you want me to post these? I am loaded up with those particular types - but let me know if I should be posting them for interest, or if you are just putting feelers out.

Do you want me to post these? I am loaded up with those particular types - but let me know if I should be posting them for interest, or if you are just putting feelers out.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I am loaded up with those particular types"?

I would like them posted...unless someone has some from previous buys that they have extra and are willing to sell/swap/trade/whatever.

im still getting a list togeahter of what i might need, but it will be on here soon..

cidah, two thigns, i did this recipe last week https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ode-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone-28239/

~ i ordered the 300L roasted barley for that one....

and, heres teh deal with the press... (im not getting one this year, i might have miss worded that one) my friends fiance's uncle has a huge apple orchard out by sodus bay. so he was talking to him, and the guy said that he could do any ratio of stuff we wanted at 25g at a time. so for this year we might do that until we have more money to invest in the press and and all the equipment to go with that.

on another note, im going to see if the orchard closed up near me and does not plan on re-opening, if so i might go see if there press and stuff is for sale.

im still getting a list togeahter of what i might need, but it will be on here soon..

cidah, two thigns, i did this recipe last week https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/ode-arthur-irish-stout-guinness-clone-28239/

~ i ordered the 300L roasted barley for that one....

and, heres teh deal with the press... (im not getting one this year, i might have miss worded that one) my friends fiance's uncle has a huge apple orchard out by sodus bay. so he was talking to him, and the guy said that he could do any ratio of stuff we wanted at 25g at a time. so for this year we might do that until we have more money to invest in the press and and all the equipment to go with that.

on another note, im going to see if the orchard closed up near me and does not plan on re-opening, if so i might go see if there press and stuff is for sale.

Let me know what you learn about the orchard that might be closed with regard to any equipment. I might be interested in adding somethings to ease my pressing operation. I don't need a press, but who knows what they might have. Also, I would like to know what kind of orchard they were and how big. I am curious to see if they are selling property etc. PM me if you want - sounds interesting though!

How did you like the clone? I think I am going to try the BYO draught clone and use the souring technique with the bottles of Guinness in malt to get sour over several days. I was checking out that recipe as well.

Copyright I will post. I meant that I already have those items in stock at my place so I can't join in.

i have not tasted the clone yet.... as i just brewed it wed last week and its still going, but the wort tasted pretty good and smelled awesome when we were mashing it and boiling it

ill let you know, on the orchard.

i have not tasted the clone yet.... as i just brewed it wed last week and its still going, but the wort tasted pretty good and smelled awesome when we were mashing it and boiling it

ill let you know, on the orchard.

Did you add the soured beer? I am thinking of adding it at kegging time.

i did not do that, i went strictly by the ingredients and process on that one i posted, they use acid malt to get the twang

altho i was thinking of doing that... too.

i actually had to add water to my brew because my eff was so high that i had to bring the OG down a good 6 pts. on 17lbs of grain i got 90% (i increased my crush just a little from .038 to .034) went from 85% at 12lbs of grain, to 90% with 17lbs

so due to that i got 6 gallons and my buddy has 6, so im going to keg, then bottle what i have left... what i have left i might experiment with.

i did not do that, i went strictly by the ingredients and process on that one i posted, they use acid malt to get the twang

altho i was thinking of doing that... too.

i actually had to add water to my brew because my eff was so high that i had to bring the OG down a good 6 pts. on 17lbs of grain i got 90% (i increased my crush just a little from .038 to .034) went from 85% at 12lbs of grain, to 90% with 17lbs

so due to that i got 6 gallons and my buddy has 6, so im going to keg, then bottle what i have left... what i have left i might experiment with.

That is what I end up doing a lot now. My batches are a bit over 11g so I end up with thwo kegs (5.5 each) and a couple growlers extra to split. I am going to do teh sour beer after the brew is complete in the keg.

yeah, im making room right now... ugh life i hard just killed another keg...

pour one out for the homie in the fridge that is dead (not on the floor you crazy SOB in your mouth)

the ipa i brewed up is next to go in the fridge, followed by a keg i have on deck, and then Guinness

Just kicked my red 2 nights ago and came to the realization my pale ale keg was empty. Outa homebrew. Gotta brew this weekend. Darn: )

Just kicked my red 2 nights ago and came to the realization my pale ale keg was empty. Outa homebrew. Gotta brew this weekend. Darn: )

Nice!

I just dumped my first batch last week (a red). It just was so lack luster and I swore I would never dump a batch but... life is too short for mediocre brew. The keg was only about half full, but oh well. I had to make room for some hopefully better brew! My oatmeal stout (jamils recipe) nick danger porter (another denny brew) and rebrew of Summer ale were ready for kegs.

Tough work we all have emptying those kegs!

the good thing is that, i have two beers ready for the kegs next week!

do you have the link of jamils recipe for the oatmeal stout?

I have to put down my summer ale soon (its almost there)

I took it from his book because I found a couple variations online. THis looks correct though:

http://beerdujour.com/Recipes/Jamil/JamilsOatmealStout.htm

I toasted the oats prior to brewing, as he suggested, so I will see how that turns out

Having a pipeline is great! Not sure if I mentioned it, but we are doing another triple brew day for beers at the cider fest this weekend. Keep that pipeline rolling! Just need a few more kegs...

PERLICK FAUCET BUY INTEREST?

Hey guys, anybody looking for perlick taps? I was thinking about seeing if we could get a discount from a vendor, they could be picked up at the next grain buy (or sooner). I know I am personally looking for 2 more 575SS, and my buddy probably 2 as well. If you have interest let me know and i will contact some vendors. I bet we can get the 575's for about 30bucks or so no sweat. This is for just the faucets at this point, but I could ask about shanks too.

You know how many? This is a fishing expedition at this point of course. No commitments. I think we would need to get about 20-30 faucets or shanks to make this work.

if i had the money i would be all it for sure....

right now i have other things i need to purhcase.. such as more grain...

Brewed up a low abv pale yesterday with:

7lbs TF MO
.5lbs Carapils
.5lbs c60

1oz pearle @60
1oz cascade @30
.75oz @20
.75oz @5

Pitched notty.

Damn enter button....smelled good, hit 72% as i was shooting for 75%, excellent taste so far. Have to get my pipeline going.

Damn enter button....smelled good, hit 72% as i was shooting for 75%, excellent taste so far. Have to get my pipeline going.

Sort of like a Sierra style pale? Sounds awesome. This weekend we got together to do some brewing for the apple fest and of course some neighbors ended up stopping over. My buddy was bottling the SN pale clone we did a while back and my neighbor asked for a try. He is a BMC guy and he was floored by it. Couldn't stop talking about how good it was. Looks like that will be working its way back into the rotation as a crowd pleaser!

To add to the fun, I walked down and checked on my sister star of the sun brew last night and noticed the stopper with airlock was on the floor... It looked like a volcano. Bad pic - but funny nonetheless! Can't wait to finally use the hop stopper! Might have prevented the clog of hops.

downsize.jpg

I had a guyser once. Happend to explode when i was next to the airlock. Hop gunk covered me on a morning i was hung over to hell. Not a good way to start the day. Any chance the starsand buy is available?

Similar, different malts and hop amounts and time but very similar to BM. I love that beer, flows so great, fiance loves it and so do i.

Back