So I messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahambo

Reaction score
So I brewed a BIG beer, and it was my first brew in awhile. At 3 days in there is almost no activity, there was a little bit the next morning and it was going good day2, but almost none now. In hindsight I should have double pitched or made a starter but I didn't. Should I make a starter and add it to it now?

What kind of big beer are we talking here? What was your OG and your current SG? What type of yeast?

I had the same issue with a high gravity IPA. Luckily i had some washed yeast in the fridge that i "woke up" and pitched. Fermentation took off in less than 2 hours after that. I guess i would say, yes, pitch a little more, or make a small starter.

High Gravity IPA. No yeast available so I guess its starter time with extra yeast. No OG/SG as the hydrometer has gone awal :( Moving Sucks

Yea, I hydrated it the first time and it seemed to be good at the time but.... yea....

I learned this same lesson the hard way. Now i keep a few lbs of DME around just in case....and i wash my yeast for future batches.

I'm thinking I may not have aerated enough for such a big beer. Is it unwise to put my aquarium stone in the carboy for a little while before I pitch the starter i am making tonight?

I'm thinking I may not have aerated enough for such a big beer. Is it unwise to put my aquarium stone in the carboy for a little while before I pitch the starter i am making tonight?

If it hasn't fermented yet that would be a good idea.

That would be a bad idea. You've already made beer, you're just not sure how far along it is.

there was a little bit the next morning and it was going good day2, but almost none now

What are you judging the "activity" upon?

Without a hydrometer reading, you're shooting in the dark.

Aeration and making an adequate starter are somewhat at odds. I would probably say, given you have good sanitation, make a good starter and dump that in and maybe shake a bit. An aeration at this point might just pre-dispose to an infection.

There was some fermentation, it started building krausen and was chugging then both stopped. Starter is building now. finger are crossed

There was some fermentation, it started building krausen and was chugging then both stopped. Starter is building now. finger are crossed

How do you know it stopped? Maybe it did, maybe it didn't, maybe it was done? Did you use your hydrometer to tell what it did? Maybe the best thing for this beer is to leave it alone for a while. If you rely on your airlock, you are making a mistake.

I apologize. I thought there had been no activity when I told you to aerate. If it has fermented (even if not fully) do not aerate your beer.

Back