Going to West Coast - What beers can't I miss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcp27

Reaction score
Next month I'll be going out to LA and San Fran for the first time. I know there's alot of great brews out there that I can't get over here on the east coast. I'm already going to be searching for anything I can from Russian River (which I'll hopefully be visiting along with Lagunitas, the Bruery, and Moylans) and Deschuttes, but is there any other beers in particular that I can't miss while I'm there? I want to be able to try as many new ones while I'm out there so the more the recommendations the better :mug:

Edit: To keep this easier, off the top of my head I've already had beers from these breweries from the west coast here (I'm sure I'm missing some):
North Coast
Bear Republic
Stone
Lagunitas
Green Flash
21st ammendment
Redhook
Rogue
Sierra Nevada
Mad River
Port/Lost Abbey
Anchor

Anything from Green Flash, especially the West Coast IPA & IIPA
Ballast Point-I've only had the Yellowtail Pale Ale, which was quite good. But I have heard great things about their other offerings.
Bear Republic-Racer 5,Hop Rod Rye,Black Bear Stout.
North Coast-Old Rasputin,Red Seal, Old Stock Ale
Lost Coast-Downtown Brown,Indica IPA,8 Ball Stout
Marin Brewing Co-I haven't had any of their beers but I believe they are in Larkspur just outside of SF, over the Golden Gate Bridge
Lagunitas-If you run across their WTF ale, it's amazing. In their own words it doesn't really fit a style, but I would call it an India Brown Ale. Nice & Hoppy.

All of these places offer more than I have mentioned, these are just the ones I've had.

Also, Stone is a great place to visit if you get that far South, though I'm sure you can get their beers at home. The Brewery & Restaurant are great, a little pricey, but worth it IMO.

Don't forget the 21st Ammendment, 563 2nd St., San Francisco. ( That's right, cans! ). Brew Free or Die IPA, Hell or Highwater Watermelon Wheat, BLack IPA...

Find some Alpine brews, Pure hoppiness, Duet etc. Also look for some Alesmith Yulesmith. From Ballast Point I'd look for Sculpin. Obviously you'll want to be on the lookout for some Pliny. Depending on where your at in LA I can tell you 2 bars within 20 mins of where I live that usually have Pliny on tap along with some other great beers. Last time I went to one they had Pliny, Blind Pig and Kerns Just outstanding all pouring =P

If you're in San Fran, I would suggest going to Toronado.

http://www.toronado.com

Amazing bottle/draft pub that offers the best of CA and beyond. Check out their bottle and draft selection on their website, its pretty amazing. Its easy to walk out of there fairly tipsy.

wow I guess I'm doing good so far cuz I only haven't had the Marin, Alpine, and Lost coast brews before :tank:

Paramecium: I'm going to be in marina del rey. I'll def check out those bars if they're anywhere nearby

How are you getting from LA to SF?
If driving on the 101, the Firestone Walker brewery is right along the way. I highly recommend their unfiltered DBA in their taproom.

+1000 for bear republic-haven't met a beer of theirs I didn't like.

Pliny the elder from Russian River
Port Wipeout IPA is also tasty

These bars are a bout 40 minutes South of Marina Del ray but if you have the time they are worth it. And one of them has bottles as well of everything you can imagine.

Well Beachwood bbq in Seal Beach always has some good stuff on tap.

Here is a link to the webcam on the beer board, it is updated every 15 mins.

http://www.beachwoodbbq.com/beer.php

As of this post I see Blind Pig, Dogfish Festina Peche, Victory Hop Wallop, Sublimely on cask, Alesmith etc...

The other Place is Hollingshead Deli in Orange. They carry everything you can imagine. Last time there I bought a 6 pack of Pure Hoppiness and the time before he was cutting deals on Pliny by the case. They also have a bar with tons of great stuff on tap.

Are you driving or flying in to SF? Any other states you might be hitting? I can recommend a few in UT if you do...

But Bear Republic was great when I tried it too. Would recommend sitting at the bar and having as many as you can :)

Are you driving or flying in to SF? Any other states you might be hitting? I can recommend a few in UT if you do...

But Bear Republic was great when I tried it too. Would recommend sitting at the bar and having as many as you can :)

I'll be flying to SF from LA, it was cheaper/quicker.

Oh I'll def be hitting up a few bars (any suggestions would be great), but was probably going to spend the days finding what I could and drinking on the beach as well. Aside from maybe pliney, I'm hoping to spend each drink having something I've never had before :mug:

You're already planning on it, but I second your plans to try anything and everything you can from Deschutes Brewery.

I would go a little farther north and hit Russian River...great place

Russian River is my favorite brewery doing really unique things, and Deschutes is my favorite brewery of classic styles.

in SF definitely hit Toronado it is great. from bears that havent been mentioned:

Iron Springs Casey Jones Double IPA -awesome stuff sometimes toronado hasit on handpump! Iron springs is in fairfax just across golden gate bridge from SF.

another couple breweries: Anderson Valley, Moonlight and actually even sierra has some decent beers out here like torpedo and tumbler.

and as you said and everyone seems to agree Russian River!!!! if you like sours Concecration, suplication and beatification is the best! damnation is awesome etc etc ++++

so looks like Toronado is a 40min stumble from where I'm staying and apparently my friend in SF was already planning on taking me, so I think we found where I'll be while her and SWMBO are shopping. definitely loving that beer list! probably gunna hit up the rogue brewpub, 21st ammendment, and speakeasy too
any thoughts on city beer store? looks like its got a pretty good selection and is close by: http://www.citybeerstore.com/beer-store/home

not so sure if can do any of the LA ones yet though since its a bit harder to get to. most of the time is gunna be in santa monica and malibu so something around there would be great if anyone knows

How are you getting from LA to SF?
If driving on the 101, the Firestone Walker brewery is right along the way. I highly recommend their unfiltered DBA in their taproom.

+1 to Firestone Walker, even if you can't make it to the brewery. Double Barrel Ale (English Pale Ale-style beer, fermented in oak casks) and Pale 31 (American Pale Ale) are two of my favorites, and Union Jack IPA gets even a non-hophead like me yearning for more.

See if you can find a 6 pack of Caldera IPA. It comes in neon yellow cans. Heck try their amber or pale ale as well if you can find them. They're out of sourthern Oregon (ashland)

to those that suggested anderson valley, great call. I've seen it around here and finally got around to trying the hop ottin tonight after these suggestions. definitely enjoyed it :mug: I think I've seen the amber and esb around here too. those worth a shot or are there better ones to look for?

we got a few alesmiths (had yulesmith for the first time a few weeks ago and liked that too), speakeasy (can;t remember which I had before, maybe prohibition) and ballast points (haven't seen sculpin tho) here too, so ill keep an eye out for them next time I'm at the store. any in particular recommendations with those?

I'm always trying to expand on what I've had so I nearly always buy something new everytime at the store (at least once a month), so getting these suggestions definitely helps with the choices next time so keep em coming :rockin:

also I can't seem to find any of these here but have heard good things, any chance you get beers from any of these places in LA or SF?
Big Sky
Three Floyds
New Glarus
Hair of the Dog
Bells (got to try some 2H through some club members once and would love more)
Surly
New Belgium
Odell

I just scanned this thread, so if I repeat anyone, I am sorry... however, I just did a California run last month where I toured 7 breweries and spent time at countless bars...

My suggestions (brewery & bars) would be:
Dont miss the tour at Lagunitas in Petaluma if you can (3pm daily). That was awesome!
Russian River has a Pub in Santa Rosa with great beer and great food (their pizzas are awesome!)
21st Amendment in San Francisco with their "Live Free or Die IPA" is awesome! They also have great burgers and it's 2 blocks from AT&T Park :)
Anchor Brewing in SF - if you can get on the list for a tour, do it... but book it today if you havent already, cause they fill up FAST!

In the LA area:
Bootleggers Brewery in Fullerton - they have an amazing IIPA called "Knucklesandwich".
Yard House - a chain of bars that have anywhere from 130-220 different taps. Amazing selection and just seeing that # of taps, holy cow!
Father's Office in LA is a great place to hang out. Its a great bar, with a world-class chef and a really good selection of beers on tap... including Pliny The Elder :)

Theres a few for ya that I hit last month and really enjoyed! :)

I was in sandiago and there was an Ipa brewed by a firehall that was great and the proceeds went to family's of fire fighters who died in duty. You might find it in La since they are pretty close. Also enjoyed the beers from mission brewery.

Seems folks here have plenty covered, but if you happen to go by Oakland and want some good beers that are not West Coast specific, cehck out "The Trappist" for some damned good Belgian ales.

But as stated above, hit up Lagunitas. I don't like IPAs and I will drink that IPA any day.

also I can't seem to find any of these here but have heard good things, any chance you get beers from any of these places in LA or SF?
Big Sky
Three Floyds
New Glarus
Hair of the Dog
Bells (got to try some 2H through some club members once and would love more)
Surly
New Belgium
Odell

Ya New Belgium is from CO. That whole list of breweries (above) isnt from CA, but thought there may be a shot I could find some in CA. Actually, I did some looking of my own and turns out Big Sky, Hair of the Dog, and New Belgium are available at City Beer Store in SF, so I guess I'm in luck.

If you are in the West Coast you should buy some Alaska Brewing Co. Alaskan Amber and Smoke Porter. I think Alaskan Amber won best beer in the world in 1987 and some other awards. Smoke Porter won a gold medal in something...too lazy to wiki it but yeah great brews from Alaska only sold in west coast states.

while you may have tried beers from those places don't forget most have draft only or even brewpub only beers like have you had Sculpin by ballast point for example?

I was JUST in SF last week and I went to the Toronado bar mentioned above and I HIGHLY recommend it! I had one of the best beers I've ever tasted...Telegraph Brewery's California Ale. Its on tap at Toronados and I LOVED it! I am trying my hardest to figure out how to make a home brew batch like it. It has very interesting apple like flavors in it that I really liked.
Regardless, Toronado's has a huge selection of draft beer and all of them are excellent. Enjoy!

Back