FIrst brew in a year - need your input - American Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
So, brewing my first batch in a year, all-grain of course, and need your input. It's a simple American style wheat using a clean yeast (S-05) and a trio of American style hops. See below for more details.

I plan to tap this at a housewarming event in my new home in about a month and hope to get a drinkable, light brew that can be enjoyed by craft people as well as non-craft drinkers.

Will this be TOO bland? I feel like I should "spice it up" with maybe 1/2oz. dryhop of Amarillo (ala Gumballhead wheat) or maybe some coriander, but I also don't want to overdue it.

Type: All Grain
Date: 9/16/2009
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Est Original Gravity: 1.048 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.78%
Bitterness: 24.5 IBU
Est Color: 3.7 SRM

Ingredients
Amount Item Type % or IBU
4.25 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
4.25 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.75 oz Cascade [5.40 %] (60 min) Hops 15.2 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (5 min) Hops 6.7 IBU
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.00 %] (2 min) Hops 2.5 IBU
1 Pkgs SafAle American Ale (DCL Yeast #S-05) Yeast-Ale

Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
60 min Mash In Add 10.63 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F
Sparge Water: 4.36 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F TunTemperature: 72.0 F

Carbonation Type: Kegged (Forced CO2) Volumes of CO2: 2.5
Pressure/Weight: 12.3 PSI Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 40.0 F Age for: 7.0 days
Storage Temperature: 40.0 F

I think you will get substantial flavor and aroma from the centennial and amarillo additions so that it won't be "bland"

I was hoping so. I brewed an american wheat before without a wheat-specific yeast (I used S-05 or Notty i forget) and it was pretty flavorless in my opinion, but I don't think I had any late hop additions such as these in that beer; I think I did have a late addition of coriander or maybe lemon zest but it didn't do much for me...

I think this will have to be much better with the late hop additions - especially these two since they are my favorite!! - but was looking to confirm.

I made an american wheat with US-05 and all amarillo ~22 IBUs. A bit tart, probably from the wheat, but refreshing as nothing else. It will be judged in the major Danish tabloid this weekend, by the head of the Danish Beer Enthusiasts.
All amarillo will lend a bit of acidity to the flavour, but in my opinion it goes really well with the wheat. I will brew this again come the spring, and I will not use any other hops than just amarillo.

Thanks for the input - Amarillo is my favorite hop also!! I make an all amarillo pale ale that I love... I was thinking of doing it for this recipe, but figured I'd try out the "hop trio" I selected.

I guess my IBU is right about where I want it at 24ish if yours is 22 and good... :) I definitely want to have some hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma in this one... not into 5-8IBU wheats with no flavor or aroma hops too much. LOL.

I'll see how it pans out...

I think you'll be happy. My main point was merely that amarillo isn't too overpowering for an american wheat. Please tell us how the beer turns out!

Back