How to know if wine has cleared/needs to be retransfered

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matt6765

Reaction score
Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

Hello,

I started making a one-gallon batch of pomegranate wine in late December. The instructions on the recipe stated that the transfer from the primary container to the carboy should happen after one to two weeks when the specific gravity reached 1.050. Mine started at 1.100 and reached 0.995 in a week. Although slightly perplexed, I continued the process and transferred the wine to a one-gallon carboy. It has been around a month now, and the wine has settled; a one half-inch layer of sediment has formed. The wine does not seem to be as clear as commercial wines, and the recipe states to "siphon again to aid in clearing if necessary." Should I do this, and how do I know when to bottle? Also when bottling or transferring, how do I prevent the settled pulp from getting into the cleared wine? This is my first time trying to make wine, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Matt

If you're actually at .995, put er in the fridge for a couple days then transfer to tertiary. You'll probably have another 1/8" or so layer of sediment drop in tertiary. I'd bottle after a few weeks in tertiary.

Yes. Tertiary is every "secondary" after secondary.

So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!

So to do this, I will just put the siphon in the wine and transfer it? Do I just avoid the layer of sediment by an inch or so, and how should I replace this now lost liquid? Thanks!

Your siphon should have a cap which prevents the siphon from sucking up too much gunk on the bottom. Replace liquid with a like wine or distilled water or leave it be. In full disclosure I've made wine 3 times, though that has totaled to around 60 gallons.

Back