Papazian-inspired Saison!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GloHoppa

Reaction score
Okay so for Christmas this year I got this sweet calendar put together by Charlie Papazian called "365 Bottles of Beer for the Year". The coolest thing about this calendar is every Sunday there is a recipe for the previous Saturday's beer. Saturday was an awesome review of Saison Dupont, so Sunday there was a sweet recipe for a Ommegang Hennepin clone. It reads:

6.6lb Light LME
.5lb Light DME
2lb light candy sugar
1 1/4oz Styrian Goldings (bittering)
.5oz Saaz hops (aroma)
1oz powdered ginger root
1oz bitter orange peel

Its a pretty straightforward extract recipe. It calls for dissolving the sugars in warm water, bringing to a boil and adding the Styrian Goldings at 60min, the ginger and orange peel at 15, and the Saaz at 2 min.

When I was ordering the ingredients for this kit through AHS, I had to order 1lb of DME, and only ordered 1oz of the Styrian Golding as well as 1oz of the Saaz since I didn't want to be stuck with an extra 3/4oz of the Golding that would probably just oxidize. Now I am thinking I might use the extra DME for making a starter, but with the extra Saaz I was thinking about using maybe a quarter to a half ounce of the left over Saaz in the bittering addition so it doesn't go to waste..

Any suggestions?

Oh and for the record I am using a Belgian yeast we have on slant at work :D I know you're jealous!

Back