Using priming sugar and kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCH

Reaction score
In my quest for kegging equipment, I have purchased 2 cornies. I have plans to purchase the C02 bottle, regulator and hoses, but don't have the funds right now.

My question: If I know that I will have the equipment in a couple of weeks, would it be OK to use priming sugar and carbonate my beer in one of the kegs?? Then when I do get the equipment, hook the hoses up and be ready to go??

I'm 100% sure that I'll be getting the equipment before October 1st and I will have a batch of Brown Ale ready to carbonate in about a week or so.

Sure you can. Use 1/3 cup of corn sugar boiled in water for 5 minutes for a 5 gallon keg, then add the beer from the fermenter. If your seals are a bit old, you may have a problem keeping the seal until the psi gets up to 5 lbs. or so. I am sugar priming my keg - not because I have to, but because getting my CO2 tank refilled is a major PITA so I conserve whenever possible.

Dan

Latest posts

Back