Pitch more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shahn

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed up a Rasputen's(Russian Imperial Stout) clone Saturday night and noticed this morning that my Primary was a tad cold at 62 degrees. I didn't check on it yesterday. There is zero activity right now. I'm doing a 5 gallon batch and I pitched one WL001. Any thoughts on whether I should throw more yeast in there? I have the primary warming up to 68 right now.

Thoughts?

get the temp up.
until you hit 72 hours, don't worry if the airlock isn't moving. you underpitched and its a little on the cold side.

I'll give it a couple days before I throw more yeast in. Thanks all.

Update: Here is how it looks 5 days later(last night).

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=K4n9QE2lhDU[/ame]

cheezydemon said:
Nice! I love the thought you put into the video.

Maybe the angle was distorted, but is that a run of the mill carboy? It looked wide.
:mug:

It's a 6.5 Gallon Carboy. I use it for the Primary for the extra head space and I have a smaller one for secondary.

I have not heard of many cases where more yeast is needed, unless is was a big beer. In your case just warming it up and giving it a swirl (not shake) should be more then enough to get it going.

It has stopped fermenting in any visible manner. But now I have this white build up inside the carboy where the beer is. Not above the beer but where the beer is.

Anyone have any idea what this is? It reminds me of soap build up.

Back