citra substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMortReport

Reaction score
I was really hoping to give Citra a go for the random concoction of an IPA Im trying to make. Couldnt find it, and read that Amarillo was similar only in that Citra is more citrusy (duh) and Amarillo for floral. I cant find anyone that carries them, so I called morebeer and they arent expecting either til early spring.

I recently saw that someone asked the same question I think around early summer, but the responses were places to buy it, and all those places are now out. I dont have a way to go to a shop, so I have to shop online, hence I cant burry my nose in different kinds.

Right now Im bittering with warrior, then centennial, chinook and simcoe at 15/5, and simcoe DH. Citra was going to be both a 15/5 add then also on the DH with simcoe.

What do people recommend for a substitution?

I got emails from several suppliers saying they have or will have Citra in this week. I think Northern Brewer, MoreBeer, and others have it in or will soon. I would just wait it out a few days as everyone seems to be getting in the 2012 hops...

I use Amarillo for several house beers and they are generally as hard or harder to find than Simcoe or Citra.

Good luck and happy brewing!

I was leaning to either Cascade or Columbus. Its funny about MoreBeer, I talked to them tonight when they gave me the time table of early spring... If they may be available in a week, is it a hop worth waiting on?

I was leaning to either Cascade or Columbus. Its funny about MoreBeer, I talked to them tonight when they gave me the time table of early spring... If they may be available in a week, is it a hop worth waiting on?

I've used it a few times and it is a great hop for late additions. I wouldn't hold off on making an American Pale Ale or IPA and wait until spring for them though. A week, sure. Cascade, Columbus, Simcoe, Amarillo are also great hops. I wouldn't say Citra is WAY better than these.
Maybe I'm just impatient :)

Makingbeerisfun still has them listed for $26/lb. I just ordered a lb about 5 min ago. I guess just cause we order doesn't mean we'll get them but they are listed.

There is no replacement for Citra. It is the most unique and polarizing hop available. It's aromatic properties are unparalleled.

Yes. There is nothing even remotely like it that could rightly be considered a substitute.

Citra smells like tropical fruit when used as a late addition 5 min to dry hop. I agree that there is no substitute. I think Galaxy might be close if you can get your hands on some.

Also Cascade and amarillo are great hops but are not a substitute for citra unless you're talking bittering additions.

Farmhouse has them in stock from 2011. Label peelers has them for preorder and are getting hops in as of Monday (2012 hops). Everywhere I look online I can find Citra so I suggest you do a little more searching and use this very unique hop versus a substitute you won't be 100 percent happy with. I have 2 pounds on the way myself as I love this hop in 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust...

Cheers!

Back