How Long to wait before cracking the lid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jim82000

Reaction score
I have my first batch in the primary right now, it's been in there since Sunday morning. I am tempted more and more each day to crack it open to see what's going on in there.

How long do people normally wait before opening up the bucket to check SG, and just generally to peek? Is there a good method for this to avoid contaminating my beer, or am I just asking for trouble doing it before I rack it to the secondary?

Easy:

Don't look at it until it's stopped bubbling. You don't need to watch it, it's not that exciting. If you want to watch, primary in a carboy. If not, don't risk it. Just let it sit until it feels like it's done.

3 days is most likely not done if there's any activity left. Give it a week, minimum.

Give it a week and/or until the bubbling stops. What it looks like is a filthy brown pile of foam (AKA krausen). Sprinkle some cocoa powder on your next pint & you'll get the idea.

I guess more than anything I just want to make sure all is going well in there. It's an ale, and it was bubbling pretty good for about a day, now it's bubbling just a little. I'd rather not crack it open and ruin a good thing, so I'll wait until secondary day. Thanks all.

Back