Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyke

Reaction score
Went to bottle my Nut Brown and found this. This is my eighth batch and the first time I have seen anything like this. Looking for some help, what is it and what should I do?

DSC_0071.jpg

Doesnt look the best from pictures ive seen of infection, but that being said it could be good. Did u taste it? Was it sour?

The bucket has a spigot on it so I drew a little taste from that and it tasted ok. I think I'm going to siphon it to my bottling bucket and try to stop before the stuff in the top gets to the siphon and then bottle.

Yeah if it tasted good you should be good to go. Definity yeast rafts then, first look, looked a little thin for yeast rafts, but thats probely what it is if it tastes fine

I don't know...those don't look like yeast rafts to me. Plus its got a oil slick"y" film on it. How long ago until the krausen fell?

looks like a thin pellicle, judging from the photos I've seen in this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/post-your-infection-71400/

That said, if it tastes good and the gravity is stable I would bottle it and drink it before it ages too much.

That way if there is an infection it doesn't have time to propagate in the bottles and generate any strong unwanted flavors.

Just my 2 cents.Take this advice at your own risk; I am not a Doctor, a Lawyer, or an Indian Chief.

I don't know...those don't look like yeast rafts to me. Plus its got a oil slick"y" film on it. How long ago until the krausen fell?

It's been in the bucket fermenter 3 weeks. I haven't been looking at it as I have a fridge I ferment in for temp control.

It's been in the bucket fermenter 3 weeks. I haven't been looking at it as I have a fridge I ferment in for temp control.

I think I have had 1 true infection. It started out with little slimy bubbles in about 2 more weeks the bubbles were huge and covered the top of the wort. I bottled it anyways but it didn't work out. Not trying to scare you... its just what happened to me.

Transfer it to a secondary, throw a packet of Wyeast 3278 in it, then some raspberries, then taste it after a year...mmmMMM good.

KaiserBierMann said:
Transfer it to a secondary, throw a packet of Wyeast 3278 in it, then some raspberries, then taste it after a year...mmmMMM good.

This....do it

Looks like a sour beer to me-- transfer to glass carboy for a year like others have said to make a lambic.
Also mark the plastics (bucket, airlocks, siphons etc) as "sour" and only use them in sour beers. Replace all plastics before your next batch.

Cause: Did you use unboiled tap water to top off into the fermenter? Or cool down with ice?
How do you clean & sanitize?

I used boiled water to top off. Fermenting bucket was sanitized with Starsan prior to transfer as was my autosiphon. Only thing I can think of was my immersion chiller hose connection leaks a little and may have sprayed a little hose water into the pot during cool down. I make sure the connections are outside of the pot and keep as much of the pot covered with the lid as possible but a little may have gotten in.

Lambic idea is OBE. I went ahead and bottled after a taste test was ok. I left about a half gallon in the fermenter when I transferred to the bottling bucket. As usual I drank the last partial bottle. It tasted fine.

I just had a stout with the exact same white stuff on top. I took a taste and it was good so I bottled and everything worked out. You should be fine

Back