Racking with CO2 question??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flippindiscs

Reaction score
So I finally hooked up my co2 tank to my carboy and racked without having to use the auto siphon. It was really easy to do but kind of had me worried about how much co2 pressure to use so I took my time with it. I was wondering if anyone has every blown up a carboy before because of adding to much co2 while racking. Anyone know how many lbs of pressure the carboys can even take?? What happens if yeast or hops clog the racking cane?? I was using a 6.5 gallon carboy if that makes any difference on how much pressure it can hold. I guess my fears would be calmed if I just switched from glass to plastic carboys but glass is all I have for now.

If you are using a carboy cap with the racking cane, you will blow it off before you could possible blow up a carboy. All you ned is enough pressure to get flow. I have been doing it for about 15 yrs and never had a problem..RDWHAHB

You don't maintain pressure. Just an intial squirt of low pressure CO2 to push the wort up the tube. It's the volume you want more than the pressure.

orfy said:
You don't maintain pressure. Just an intial squirt of low pressure CO2 to push the wort up the tube. It's the volume you want more than the pressure.
This is true if you want to start a siphon with co2 when using gravity to rack with. But if your gonna rack on the same plane, 3-5psi maintained will be needed. I to agree that a carboy can handle 3-5 psi and the carboy cap will blow before the dreaded scenerio. Just be smart and take it easy and you will be fine.

Thanks for the quick answers. I was using only 1-2 lbs. I will try to bump it up a little next time. I didn't think about using both co2 and gravity. Pretty good idea. One other question is when I was racking into my kegs, I opened the top and stuck the tube into the keg. I guess I could just hook up a quick disconnect to the out of the keg to fill it as well?.? Anyone try this? I suppose I would have to bleed the pressure every once in a while in the keg while filling it. This would minimize its contact with oxygen.

That's how many folks to it. Just open the pressure release and turn it 90 degrees and it should stay open. Then you will not have any pressure build-up.

Back