I want to make wine from Mountain Dew Throwback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fuzzy, so no backsweetening? My primary fermentation is over so figured I would rack, k-meta, sorbate, and super-kleer in a day or so. But if no backsweetening is needed, then off to bottling after a couple weeks of clearing. I am looking for a hint of Mt. Dew taste but not too sweet of course. I just did not want it too dry.

I used goosen's recipe as well. Fermentation took about a day or so to kick off. It was never a very vigorous fermentation, but I would give the carboy a swirl or two every few days and the outgassing was pretty obvious. That was about a week and a half ago and we are already down to 0.990 SG.

I didn't think it was necessary. There's a nice Mt. Dew flavor and the artificial sweetener that's in the syrup was enough for me.

Bottled mine a couple days ago, added 3 oz of priming sugar and put them in beer bottles, hoping to get them to bottle carb. I used EC-1118 yeast, so should have plenty of alcohol tolerance left. The sample from the bottling bucket was surprisingly good. You were right, the residual sweetness from the artificial sweeteners in the syrup was plenty, no backsweetening needed.

A little time in the bottle and carbonation may make this one very drinkable. More tasting notes in 3 weeks :rockin:

Wow, I am shocked... this stuff is actually good! I may have to whip up a 6 gallon batch next time. It is definitely mellowing out over the weeks since bottling. Very slight carbonation, so I think the yeast might just be done. I figure about another month in the bottles and it will be smooth and tasty.

It seems a lot more potent than the 10.89% ABV suggests, though.

Did it with Baja blast and it worked. The sangria one too and that didn't work. Maybe I just got lucky. I let it sit open in the carboy for 24hr before adding the yeast. Lavin 1118. Going to taste it and bottle it later this week.

Think I got lucky with this one. I did a Baja blast an it worked. After 9 mo. I bottled it a few days ago. It tasted like flat soda with vodka.

IMG_20150828_215422518.jpg

Back