Just bought some used brewing equip.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famou55TAR

Reaction score
I just bough some used brewing equipment from a guy on craigslist. it came with a 6 and 5gal. glass carboys. should i use the same size carboy when fermenting or could i use the different sizes during the 1st and 2nd stages.

Use the 6 gallon fermenter for primary. You will need the extra headspace for the krausen. If you chose to use a secondary, that is when you should use the 5gal.

Use the 6 gallon during primary to reduce the risk of blowoff. The 5 gallon one can probably be safely used for secondary. Welcome to the obsession...

Use the 6 gallon for primary fermentation, and then rack to the 5 gallon if you need to do long-term conditioning or whatnot. The 6 gallon will give you extra headspace to help cut down on the amount of crap that gets blown off during fermentation, and the 5 gallon should give you very little surface area so as to limit the amount of oxidation that could take place during a long storage.

I have one 5 gallon that I use for cider, as there is no krausen.

Back