cornelius keg help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gnomepants

Reaction score
Hello- I hope this is where this thread should go as I am a newbie...
Ok some I preparing to do some cider, I plan on using my multitude of corny kegs that I was getting ready to throw away but was told no! you must use these to put your cider in! so every thing I have read says release pressure using pressure release valve in the center. Ok simple enough- mine has a little thing that sticks up but nothing to pull on or push in on to release pressure... Also this is a Coke one so it has the little pins on the post, how do I remove those with out messing up the little pins? is there a magical tool I must buy? what is said magical tool called? Im afraid when I go at removing them using a wrench it will be bad, very bad. I also dont want this thing to blow up on me, it still has a wee bit of soda left in it.rambling. sorry

Release the pressure on the out line its the one with 3 pins by pushing the poppet down . I use a crescent wrench but you can make or buy the tool it looks like this.

keg_tool_side_on_02.jpg

Ah Hah! so my guess is that a poppet is the little thing in the center? What size socket is that and did you use a dremel or something to cut those little slots? Thanks

Release the pressure on the out line its the one with 3 pins by pushing the poppet down . I use a crescent wrench but you can make or buy the tool it looks like this.
Noooo....use the IN post to vent pressure...the one with 2 pins. Using the out post will just spray beer/cider all over the place (unless the keg its totally empty). I keep a chopstick handy just for this.

HBS sell a pre-notched socket just for these pin-lock posts but it ain't cheap. It only hurts once though.;)

Noooo....use the IN post to vent pressure...the one with 2 pins. Using the out post will just spray beer/cider all over the place. I keep a chopstick handy just for this.

HBS sell a pre-notched socket just for these pin-lock posts but it ain't cheap. It only hurts once though.;)

Doh ! Yes the in what the hell was I thinking ..

Thanks, im glad I checked before going in and pressing on the wrong side... Im glad to know that these arent messed up, I thought great, I have all of these little kegs and they are all broken. Thanks again!

Back