Possible Ghetto AG setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zaprozdower

Reaction score
Ok so I've been doing partial mash for 5 batches or so now. I have a 7.5 gallon pot and my primary which has a spigot and so doubles as my bottling bucket which I understand isnt ideal (I did actually get an auto siphon recently which seems to be helping with clarity).

My question is whether or not this might work for AG...

So my boiling pot came with a little rack thing for frying turkeys. I'm hoping to put a grill thing on the top of it so that the decent size holes on it will not let grain through and kind of act as a false bottom. I also hope to build some kind of cage around it so that I can put grain in there, mash it, pull it up, and then use the same pot for boiling. Seems like its viable, any reason it shouldnt be?

I don't see why not. You could also use a stainless mesh over that basket for better filtering of the grainbed, or use the Brew In A Bag (search BIAB) technique. I went the cheap route with all grain brewing initially. One kettle for hot water and boiling, an old 5g cooler for the mash tun, and my bottling bucket to catch the runnings. Doesn't matter which way you do it, it all makes beer!

I drilled 1/8" holes in the bottom of the fermenter bucket that came with the first kit I ever bought. Then I place that bucket inside the bottling bucket. Papazian named it the Zapap Lauter Tun many years ago. It's def ghetto but it works and it was from stuff I already had. I get ~88% brewhouse efficiency with it and it's lightweight and easy to clean.

Because my job is so un-KISS...I think I rebel in my brewing a little and really try to keep it as KISS as possible.

Latest posts

Back