Another 1st AG pic thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Got a late start on Saturday. Got a little to drunk on Friday night :eek: Was fun getting to break in the new mash tun and tackle my first all-grain batch.

I brewed a Porter that i put together myself. The partial-mash version was very good, so I gave it another shot.

Overall, it went great. Ended with a tad to much water so I had to boil it down an extra 45 minutes to get 5.75 gallons. My evaporation rate was calculated a bit to high :mad:

This next weekend will either be an Irish Red or an IPA.

All setup

12lbs of grain, 2oz hops, yeast and some 5.2ph buffer

Can't see much.. but preheating the cooler/mash tun.

All doughed in. Hit my temps right on the money and they stayed there the entire 60min. I was very happy with how the cooler performed considering it was like 38* out.

Boiling away... time to enjoy some beer

A glass of the porter i'm making. This was from the partial-mash.

Taking my OG(original gravity) hydrometer reading. Came in at 1.060 rather than 1.051. Can't complain about having better effeciency :word:

Now I get to wait :(

Very nice!!!
Looks like you had a great time. Did you get your water volumes from beersmith? I usually try to stay around 6.5 gallons pre-boil.

I've had water volumes do that to me a few times; guess I am still figuring out my equipment. When you preheated, did you just use hot tap water or did you use water heated to strike temp?

Very nice!!!
Looks like you had a great time. Did you get your water volumes from beersmith? I usually try to stay around 6.5 gallons pre-boil.

Yup, I did. I think next time i'll be going for around 6.5-7.0. I started with 7.9, and that was just way to much.

I've had water volumes do that to me a few times; guess I am still figuring out my equipment. When you preheated, did you just use hot tap water or did you use water heated to strike temp?

Heated a few degrees above strike temp. I think it was actually about 8* above.

Still getting used to mine. I've only done 4 batches out here in Denver/Parker, so between still using the new-ish keggle and elevation, its been a learning process..lol

Back