banana wine for blending.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun_ny_farm

Reaction score
Hello again, quick question for the gurus. My peach wine is a little too sweet (it has been aging for about 6 months, I don't think any more conversion will happen). I just started some banana to blend with it. At what point should I add the peach? Also, is it ok to put just 3 gal in a 5 gal carboy with an airlock?
If that is ok, I will put the 3 gal of banana into my carboy for secondary ferm. Or should I just put the banana and 2 gal of oversweet peach?
Sorry, I posted this on the fly so it may seem confusing.
Thanks!

Hi!

I'd wait until the banana wine is completely finished and clear before blending. The peach will be fine aging during this time.

It's really not ok to use a 5 gallon carboy with a 3 gallon batch. In primary, it'd be fine, but you really want to minimize any headspace after that. I'd suggest either a 3 gallon carboy, or three one-gallon jugs for a three gallon batch.

Thanks for the super fast response! I guess I knew not to fill a carboy less than capacity, but thought I'd check to be sure. On blending, is the goal to ferment at all after the blend?
I followed a recipe from Jack Keller but instead of table sugar I added about 1 cup of honey and about a cup of brown sugar. I also added the golden raisens now, (the recipe says to add them in a couple weeks.) I want this to be pretty dry, and figured some of the sugar in the peach will ferment out after blending. Thanks again.

A few more questions if i may. I boiled the golden raisins with the bananas, will this be a problem? I added pectic enzyme as soon as it cooled.
It looks, smells and tastes good as of now(1 week in primary tomorrow night).
Can one add too much pectic enzyme?

Back