Using a heater in the fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WPStrassburg

Reaction score
I've got a titanium aquarium heater that I'm thinking about putting right into the fermenter. I've read about the heated water bath, but don't feel like messing with that and the heater inside would be more efficient. I've got a couple ideas about how to get it in the fermenter, but want to know if anyone sees issues with it or has already don it. One of the things I've noticed is that the surface temp of my 500 watt heaters is about 100. I can still put my hand on it, but am concerned about the localized heating around the heater causing off flavors from the higher temps. I was only going to use a 50 watt so it may be cooler.
Thanks,
Walter

I would do a water bath. You are exactly right about the localized heat causing problems with the yeast. If you don't want to do a bath, then I would look at a carboy heater that wraps around the circumference.

DON'T DO IT!!! You will destroy your yeast. The way one of those heaters works is way to drastic for a fermenter you need something a lot less intense. IMHO
JJ

Water bath is really no issue... cooler, heater, top off once a week or so depending on degree of evaporation.

Every fish tank heater I've seen has too many hidden crevices for bacteria to hide (namely in the thermostat area). Besides, with the water batch method you can run 2-3 fermenters at a time (depending on the size of your cooler), with a submerged heater you'd be limited to one...

Or do the wrap, but then you don't have anywhere near precise temp control...

Thanks guys. I've got a spare rubbermaid cooler I can use to save me some juice. The ti heaters are nice and smooth so I hoped to just be able to drop it in. How hot is too hot for the yeast? 80 still too much? The lower watt heaters should be lower heat density and lower surface temp.

Ive got a actually heater I bought specifically from a brew store which is submersible and it works fine?

Ive got a actually heater I bought specifically from a brew store which is submersible and it works fine?

If it's a low enough wattage one it would work fine. You'd just have to be really careful in your selection.

I wouldn't bother, there are simpler ways to do this.

Back