American Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeB

Reaction score
Just a general informational post, I guess, because I really don't have a question per se.

I brewed an American Amber Ale (Northern Brewery Kit) a week ago Friday (ten days in the fermenter) and decided to take a gravity reading today so I could have a taste. The gravity is hovering right around 1.010, but the beer is still very cloudy. I plan to leave it in the fermenter until next weekend.

There is a very good hop presence to the beer, reminiscent of Sierra Nevada's pale ale, but not quite as prominent. There is a distinct orange aroma on the nose, which seems to be a characteristic of the Summit hops used. Overall, even at this early stage the flavor seems to be there. There isn't the "green beer" flavor I got from my first batch when I tasted it during bottling. I'm hoping the fact the beer tastes this much more "mature" at this stage will bode well for it later, once it's been in the bottles for a few weeks. I steeped the grains longer this time around, paying careful attention to control the temperature to allow for a full 30 minute steep. I wonder if this aided in the more complete flavor I'm experiencing now. I've also managed to maintain a nearly perfectly consistent 60 degree temperature throughout the fermentation.

So, anyway, if this is any indicator of things to come, I'll be opening my own brewery by the new year. :)

Awesome. Post some pics and let us know how it turns out. I am thinking about doing my second batch (as soon as I can figure out if I'm going to build a kegerator) and I want to do an American Amber. Seems like a fairly easy beer and very drinkable. It's either Amber or Blonde, not sure. Let us know!

I have an American Amber Ale coming to a drinkable stage soon. I think it is the AG version of that kit if I remember correctly. I hope mine is as good as yours.

I'll be bottling either tomorrow or Sunday, so I'll let you know how it goes. I'll take a picture or two during bottling and combine them with a few from brewing day and post them up in the pictures forum. I'm looking forward to tasting my final gravity reading.

Back