Hop addition at flame out quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jesseroberge

Reaction score
I am making a beer that calls for the addition of hops at zero minuts of the 60 min boil. When I add these hops as "steep" method, like a bag of tea, how long do I add them ?

Can I start chilling my wort with my cooler ?

The article says to assume a 10% utilization for the bitterness. Does that mean if 1 oz at 60 mins would yield 40 IBUs, then for the hop stand you assume the same oz will yield 4 IBUs? Beersmith doesn't have a hop/stand-whirlpool option...

The article says to assume a 10% utilization for the bitterness. Does that mean if 1 oz at 60 mins would yield 40 IBUs, then for the hop stand you assume the same oz will yield 4 IBUs? Beersmith doesn't have a hop/stand-whirlpool option...

As I understand it, you would use the 10% utilization in the IBU formula - see http://www.realbeer.com/hops/research.html

This seems pretty crude to me, and I think because of all the variables involved, it might never be refined much more. Hop stands are done at a pretty wide range of times and temperatures. A formula that includes factors for the time and temperature of the hop stand would be nice, but that's a lot to hope for.

I think they are just talking about utilization for the flameout additions being around 10%. I don't think you can apply that to all the hop additions, especially the 60 minute. Hop utilization plateaus around 60 minutes which is why you only get a couple more IBU by boiling for 90 minutes rather than 60 minutes. You could probably assume somewhere around 5-10% extra utilization from later kettle additions though. But like ncbrewer said, all of these estimates are very crude to begin with.

Thanks for the link, I'm tracking now. In the typical beers I brew around 1.060 OG, it looks like the hop stand IBUs would be roughly equivalent to a 15 min boil...the 10% utilization level.

Back