Trouble with PID autotune

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
Hey guys, my electric set up is complete now and I am testing my panel and PIDs tonight in anticipation for a brew day tomorrow. As I type this my BK PID has been running autotune (At 2) for about a half hour. The PID reads a pv of 128 and the sv flashes between 135 and "At". it has been doing this for the entirety of the last 30 min and the BK is boiling pretty vigorously (obviously hotter than the 128 it currently reads).

I know that autotune can take a while, but I guess I am wondering how long 'a while' is? Do I need to calibrate something else first? how would I go about doing so?

Am I just that much of a novice in this stuff that I am worrying over nothing?

Thanks for all the help!

Just an update, been 45 min now, still boiling like crazy and auto tune seems to still be running. I am going to kill it for the night and try again after work tomorrow. Hopefully I'll have some more info from you guys and the interwebs by then.

Obviously your temp sensor is not reading correctly; autotune algorithm is trying to get the system up to 135; but it cannot get there since at full boil it's only registering 128.

I would start with calibrating your temp sensor and making sure your PID is set to Fahrenheit among other things...

Obviously your temp sensor is not reading correctly; autotune algorithm is trying to get the system up to 135; but it cannot get there since at full boil it's only registering 128.

I would start with calibrating your temp sensor and making sure your PID is set to Fahrenheit among other things...

And that the PID is set to the temp probe type that you are using. (Critical issue!)

Oh, interesting! After I check the temp probes, how would I calibrate them? I looked in the manual and wasn't able to come across any obvious answer. I will keep looking later but if anyone can push me in the right direction I would appreciate it!

Getting so close to my first electric brew... :mug:

What is the exact part number of the PID you have?

Are you certain that the temp sensor you have matches the PID requirement (thermocouple type J/K, RTD, Thermistor)?

My PID allows a offset in order to "calibrate" the temp sensor, but if you are off by more than a few degrees there is something wrong; calibration is not what you need.

Did you add a plug to the temp sensor, or otherwise wire any part of it?

What is the exact part number of the PID you have?

Are you certain that the temp sensor you have matches the PID requirement (thermocouple type J/K, RTD, Thermistor)?

My PID allows a offset in order to "calibrate" the temp sensor, but if you are off by more than a few degrees there is something wrong; calibration is not what you need.

Did you add a plug to the temp sensor, or otherwise wire any part of it?

Sorry, forgot to include that, I am using the auber SYL-2352. I see here in the manual where I need to change it! Oh man, thank you to all for helping me clear this up. Prost and a happy brew day!

EDIT: Scrap that, a quick looksy and I see the issue... fixed and running like a dream!

Ok, so I went in and changed my sn value to match my RTD at 21 (Pt100). I am getting an orAL error on both PIDs. Is this wired incorrectly? I'll try to upload a picture later today or tomorrow.

Ok, so I went in and changed my sn value to match my RTD at 21 (Pt100). I am getting an orAL error on both PIDs. Is this wired incorrectly? I'll try to upload a picture later today or tomorrow.

What did you do to correct your dilemma?

Back