Water in airlock going in wrong direction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdar

Reaction score
I have my wine in the second fermination now (in two 1 gallon jugs). However for last few days I was seeing water in both airlock going in wrong direction. To prevent it getting sucked in, I reset the airlock few times. However I don't understand why it would do this, expecially since a day or two ago both airlock were slowly bubbling some air out.

Its my first time trying to do wine so can anyone tell me if I should be worried?

is your jug plastic or glass? its called suckback.....temperature changes and pressure changes in the atmosphere can cause this. it affects plastic much more then glass. if the water was clear and didnt have any mold or bacterial growth when it got sucked in I wouldnt worry about it.

I too discovered this recently. It took nearly 72 hours to stop. It was the temp issue. And I had to reset a few times. Once the fermentation kicked off, it reversed course and worked properly.

I am using glass jugs.. But I guess maybe its the temperature.. since it dropped few degrees here and I didn't bother to turn on heater just yet.

What is optimal amount of water in airlocks?

ive heard that it can happen in glass jugs but ive never experienced it, there should be a fill line on your airlock, if it has two lines, fill it to the top one.

Back