Pump loss?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brulosopher

Reaction score
I started using a pump about two months ago. Ever since then I've noticed my final volume into the fermenter is lower than what I expected. I've been assuming it might be my boil off rate, perhaps due to it being Summer. But now I'm wondering how much can be attributed to loss due to wort left in my pump hosing. Anyone have any insight on that?

Im having the same problem. I changed my equipment profile in beersmith to account for about 1/2 gallon loss.

cadillacandy said:
Im having the same problem. I changed my equipment profile in beersmith to account for about 1/2 gallon loss.

That's right about what my difference is! And how much do you hate cleaning up the wort that spills out? I guess it's worth it ;)

Brulosopher said:
That's right about what my difference is! And how much do you hate cleaning up the wort that spills out? I guess it's worth it ;)

It's so worth it to not lift hot kettles. I was brewing in my bare feet the first time I figured out that the hoses keep liquid in them. That wasn't fun, but I've learned. Cheers!

Back