looking for quick answer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adworld

Reaction score
when mashout temp is 170deg. and I am currently mashing my grain at 153 what temp do I need to hit to achieve 170 mashout?

thanks
David

No one can tell you, because we don't know how much water and how many pounds of grain you already have in there. For my system, my mashout temp is almost always 202, and it's usually about 2 gallons.

Yooper said:
No one can tell you, because we don't know how much water and how many pounds of grain you already have in there. For my system, my mashout temp is almost always 202, and it's usually about 2 gallons.

that would be helpful huh ;)

11lbs of grain sitting in 5gal water in my mash. I'm brewing caribou slobber brown ale

that would be helpful huh ;)

11lbs of grain sitting in 5gal water in my mash. I'm brewing caribou slobber brown ale

Ok, using the "rest calculator" from here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

to go to 170 from 153, assuming 11 pounds of grain at 1.75 quarts/pound, you'd need 8.6 quarts of boiling water.

Yooper said:
Ok, using the "rest calculator" from here: http://www.rackers.org/calcs.shtml

to go to 170 from 153, assuming 12 pounds of grain at 1.25 quarts/pound, you'd need 7 quarts of boiling water.

ok and it states a 10 min mashout @ 170. what exactly does that mean? sorry i am super new at brewing. my first batch actually

ok and it states a 10 min mashout @ 170. what exactly does that mean? sorry i am super new at brewing. my first batch actually

Oh, if you're doing a mashout, you want to hit 170 to preserve the profile and the wort and stop enzymatic activity. Holding the mash at 170 at the end for 10 minutes will denature the enzymes.

Yooper said:
Oh, if you're doing a mashout, you want to hit 170 to preserve the profile and the wort and stop enzymatic activity. Holding the mash at 170 at the end for 10 minutes will denature the enzymes.

so do I add the 7 quarts of boiling to the mash or all at once?

Back