What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_20240420_185849_495.jpg

Bottled the SahtiAle ver.2 so I now have 88 bottles of beer on the wall, 88 bottles of beer... :)

IMG_20240420_195406_399.jpg

Bought the black capper from a discount sale a while ago and tried it out for the first time. It's absolute crap. Rickety at the best of times, pushes the caps on crooked if you're not careful. I have this ancient metal one I think is older than me that I more or less confiscated from my mom years ago, works otherwise well but it randomly sometimes crushes the neck of the bottle. Had a good look at it and turns out one of the three "claws" that grab the bottle was crooked and not always alinging with it's slot, bent it a little and it's working fine now.

Brewing up the only beer I've been able to do well lately, the House NEIPA with Citra/Mosaic. The other day I dosed the corn lager I brewed two weeks ago with some champagne yeast; wound up too sweet so I'm hoping for some dryness. Will get that back in the kegerator and carbing in a while.

The other day I dosed the corn lager I brewed two weeks ago with some champagne yeast; wound up too sweet so I'm hoping for some dryness.

Which champagne yeast? Most wine/champagne yeasts can't eat Matotriose and are not good at eating Maltose. So they aren't really suited for fixing stuck fermentations.

Which champagne yeast? Most wine/champagne yeasts can't eat Matotriose and are not good at eating Maltose. So they aren't really suited for fixing stuck fermentations.
Red Star Premier Blanc. All I had available, and I've used it before with decent results. We shall see.

It was quite a busy week for me so I didn't find the time to report on my beer-related actions, but here I am:

First of all: I bottled 1.25 gal of Münchener Hell v1, brewed using two mash process. For the first time I harvested the yeast from a batch - let's see how this turns out. I spare you the details about cleaning the fermenter afterwards. Finally I prepared the next brewing day for v2, kettle mash with one simple infusion. Also I worked a bit on the drainage in my small batch system:
So now I have silicone tube pieces with some big holes in it underneath the cotton diaper connected with copper fittings improving the lautering - if it looks stupid but it works, it ain't stupid!
1713707484594.png

The brewing afternoon the next day went pretty smooth, doing the same Münchener Hell recipe as last time, just with a simple infusion instead of double decoction - to compare the processes and results. The SG for the kettle full wort (is this the correct term?) was a bit higher than calculated, so I added some water to end at the same OG after boiling I had with the v1 batch.
Then chilling and filtering the trub (yes, again a cotton diaper), adding yeast and into the fridge the fermenting bucket went.
1713710186973.png

And finally: today I just sat on the couch, started to draft bottle labels for my beer lab "utility beer research kitchen" batches and wrote this update.

Attached a keg to the fermenter to fill with CO2. This is a desperation-based experiment. 4# of DME, Cascade hops at 60, 15, WP, and DH. Looking for 3.25ABV and 35IBU. I need more time to do an AG Brewday.
The keg seems to building pressure, which I am releasing, but for some reason it is not passing through the keg into the blowoff bottle. Never had this happen before, so I expect that I have a leak in this system somehow. Debating just putting a bubbler back on the fermenter.

The keg seems to building pressure, which I am releasing, but for some reason it is not passing through the keg into the blowoff bottle. Never had this happen before, so I expect that I have a leak in this system somehow. Debating just putting a bubbler back on the fermenter.
Normally a leak would prevent pressure from building. What does your setup look like?

Hose from top of fermenter to keg in, keg out hose to growler of starsan. Previous times I have done this, the starsan foams like crazy. This time, pressure is building in the keg, slightly. It wasn't bubbling fast, anyway, so it may just be the potential ABV of 3.25%, or the fresh pack of dry S-05, IDK.

If the keg is building pressure seems you have a blockage on the outbound side of keg(assuming no spunding valve). My guess is bad disconnect or stuck poppet on the keg out.

Are you purging the keg from the bottom up? Fermentor to keg bev out and keg gas in to growler.

Low ABV beer finish pretty fast for me, the bulk of the fermentation is done in under 48hours.

Today I brewed 20 litres of Dogfish Head 60 minutes IPA
4500g Maris Otter
400g Biscuit Malt
20g Simcoe @60
20g Amarillo @ 15
30g each of Simcoe and Amarillo for 20m whirlpool at 80C
CML Five yeast
OG 1056 BHE 73%

Looks like a tasty recipe! But for anyone who might be looking for a clone, it's not really much like DFH brews it.

Latest posts

Back