Air Lock on the floor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbesinger

Reaction score
So I did my first brew on Saturday and then Sunday morning when I came downstairs to check on the progress I noticed my air lock was on the floor. I put it back onto the primary fermenter but now I have two questions:
1- Is it possible that there was so much CO2 buld-up that it forced the air-lock off my fermenter?
2- Should I continue to go forward in the process or is my batch doomed?
I imagine that the airlock was off for at least 6 hours if not 8. I have a sneaking suspicion that my drunken roommate fiddled with it and knocked it off.

should be okay. the amount of CO2 being given off at the start should stop anything getting in.

Refill the airlock and put it back on. Don't forget to punch your flatmate so he learns not to do it again.

pjbesinger said:
1- Is it possible that there was so much CO2 buld-up that it forced the air-lock off my fermenter?[\QUOTE]

If the airlock was somehow clogged and not letting CO2 out, then that is a good possibility, otherwise I would doubt it.

PJBESINGER said:
2- Should I continue to go forward in the process or is my batch doomed?
I imagine that the airlock was off for at least 6 hours if not 8. I have a sneaking suspicion that my drunken roommate fiddled with it and knocked it off.

I would say your batch is fine, the thing makes me think otherwise is you said the airlock was on the floor and you put it back in. Please tell me you sanitized it first. If not, taste the beer when it done fermenting, if it tastes like beer, then you're likely fine. If it tastes like floor cleaner or other terrible flavor then you might have an infection.

If it was your roommate and they spoiled your batch I'd recommend requesting money for ingredients of a new batch and a nice 6er for interest and time lost.

EDIT: Also what the above man said....

Back