Aging question!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Hey,

I know the rule is 1-2-3 for bottling, but does that apply to kegging as well? If I have a beer 1 week in primary, 2-3 weeks in secondary, is it ok to keg, carb and drink? or should it sit in the keg for a period of time as well??

If the answer to the last part is yes, can I put it in my fridge, apply 12 psi CO2 and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of weeks? or should it sit in the keg at room temp somewhere??

I don't want to drink green beer and I'm not sure of the exact definition of green beer. btw, I usually make smaller beers, ales, not the big beers someof you make.

Well, sure you can drink it right away, but it's going to get better if you age it for a few weeks. I would go ahead and put it in the fridge with the CO2 on it and forget it for a while (if it's possible ;) ).

Beer gets better with even just a couple of weeks of aging. You could even go through the "force" carbing thingy (shaking of the keg) and drink it within days. Just know, it will get better with a little aging though, even "small" beers will.

The 1-2-3 is just a guideline. You don't necessarily have to follow it to the day. Experience with the different strengths of beer will give you a better idea of what to do. some of my lighter beers go to secondary after about 4-5 days and I have left sojme of the stronger ones on primary for 10-14 days.

Latest posts

Back