HEEERE chickey, chickey, chickey!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
I got a bag of rolled corn chicken feed for kicks and grins. To brew with it I need to gelatinize(sp?) it. How long do ya need to boil it to have that happen? :)

I'm interested in this also as I... well have chickens :) Of course this means I have a bag of corn chops that I wonder how it would do in a brew virtually every time I walk past it. Consider me a follower of this thread.

I've mostly discounted using it because I'm guessing it has a high protein to starch ration, higher than sweet corn/table corn varieties. Just a guess I may have it totally wrong but I don't think so. I'm thinking if it is used it'll be best in something like a cream ale, blonde, kolsch, or something else light and summerish. Either way my chickens can't get enough of the stuff... ever!

Schlante,
Phillip

Ps neat thing about having chickens, see below!

100_1079.jpg

Homegrown double-yolker with other homegrown eggs. Flavor is so CLEAN & subtle compared standard store eggs.

100_1081.jpg

Frying up the double-yolker!

SasquatchmyBIGJerseyGiantCock.jpg

My big black cock, Sasquatch. He's a Jersey Giant, the largest breed of chicken when mature he'll probably be around 15 lbs.

Sasquatchhugefoot.jpg

Sasquatch's foot, I'm 6'1" & his foot takes up most of my hand... it's a huge freaking chicken!

Fresh eggs are the best! There are two friends who have chickens and they are always calling to see when I'm brewing next......they want the spent grains! :D

Believe me I call them! They always bring fresh eggs in exchange!

I was hesitant to use the phrase 'big black cock', but figured what the heck it's an accurate description plus anyone searching for the phrase on HBT will come across mine first! ;) As of yet I haven't fed the spent grains to the chickens, but am going to try it next go round.

Sorry Grimsawyer, didn't mean to hijack the thread. (trying to steer it back on course) I'd like to know others thoughts on brewing with either the rolled corn or chopped corn Grim & I have, thoughts?

Schlante,
Phillip

Grimsawyer: Re the cracked feed corn, I was given a bag and attempted a cereal mash. No matter what I tried or how much water I added the stuff sucked it up and created a big, sticky mess. YMMV so I hope it goes well.

MVKTR2: Those eggs are gorgeous. You can tell a fresh, quality egg from those big, orange yolks. Very nice. I gave the rest of the cracked corn to my sister to feed to her chickens so I can keep receiving eggs that look like those. ;)

Back