Clear Glass Bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nbmutsch

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked many times prior to this, but does anyone know where I can buy 12 ounce CLEAR bottles online? Must take crown caps... 26mm standard preferrably. Thanks so much for any help... I have searched the internet for hours now and haven't come up with anything.

I work at my LHBS part time, none of the wholesalers we use even carry them any more. Your best bet is to get some empty corona bottles and use an acid soak to remove the paint. There is a thread around here where someone described accidentally finding this out by soaking some corona bottles in star san overnight and then setting them out to dry. As they dried the paint flaked off.

Some sparkling water brands come in poptop clear glass bottles. I use them for AW.

I use MGD bottles for my hard ciders. The glass is embossed with "Miller" but that doesn't bother me.

on a homebrew scale? I personally don't think so at least for skunking from light and such. Brewers should know how to properly store their beer anyway.

is there another reason you had in mind?

Skunking can happen incredibly fast. You could get a noticeable skuky taste from just a day sitting out in the sun (at a bbq or something). Take a beer, put it in the sun and keep one in the dark (pref a hoppy beer) let it sit out for a few hours, cool and taste the difference. I was amazed how fast it happens. One of my FST profs told me to do it, never again will I use clear or green glass.

But again, not all homebrew drinks will skunk...I bottled my apfelwein in clear glass.

VERY TRUE!!!! Forgot to mention that :drunk:. Photolysis can only happen to your iso-alpha acids (created in the boil from alpha acids). If you have a beer where very few hopps (or none :confused:) were added then there is nothing to skunk. Like apfelwein (dont know much about it, never made it, only do cider) it wont skunk because there is no hops. However light can speed up oxidation if there is dissolved oxygen in the beer, so be aware of that as well.

Back