Type of keg I can use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spyderturbo

Reaction score
I have had a tap system in my house much longer than I have been brewing. I decided to bottle my first batch, so I didn't have to deal with purchasing additional equipment at first.

Anyway, I wanted to see if there was a way to use the 1/6 barrel kegs that I purchase from the distributer? They are the standard ball tap kegs and only have a $10 deposit. So I could just drink the beer and then keep the keg for my homebrew. :D I am guessing that there is no way to do that, but I wanted to ask.

Thanks!

Corny's can be bough cheap used ($15 uncleaned, ~$30 rebuilt). They are about the size of 1/6 kegs. Just a thought.

never heard of a 1/6 keg but....

If you try to use a standard sankey conencted keg for homebrew youy'll end up spending some money and time in order to have the tools and knowledge needed to disassemble and clean a keg through a 2 1/2 inch hole.

Your best bet is to invest in a conversion kit for your standard coupler. Like this one: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=6716

Lets you swap from a sankey setup to ball lock in a couple easy steps.

Back