Another off flavor in keg question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeSpartaNJ

Reaction score
I just tapped my 4th homebrewed keg. Since the first one, I have had the same off flavor that I never got from bottling.

For the first 3 kegs, I used the "set and forget" method. I set the regulator at 12 psi and let sit for one week @ 38 degrees.

The most recent keg I set at 30 psi for 3 days (sitting still, no shaking or rolling,) purged and set regulator to 12 psi for remaining @ 38 degrees.

I do not want to say that the beer has a oxygenated cardboard flavor to it, its more like tha carbonic bite you find in seltzer or club soda.

Is that what the flavor could be? Are the beers slightly overcarbed?

My set up is as follows:

Dual tap tower setup with Perlick flow control faucets. 5ft lines. Serving pressure 12 psi. Between 38 and 40 degrees.

I should also note that the off flavor receeds as the beer warms.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe

Are you using this chart to get the pressure needed at temperature??
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php

IF not, then do so. At 38F, and 12psi, you're at 2.57 CO2 volumes. That is on the high end of the ale scale.

BTW, carbonic/acidic 'bite' IS a sign of over carbonation. Since it goes away as the beer warms, it really sounds like over carbonation to a point.

I would also replace those 5' lines with 10' (3/16" ID) lines. The normal line length you see used is 1'/1PSI of CO2 pressure the keg is on.

thanks,

I was thinking of purging and setting at around 8 psi. Maybe that will improve it some.

I've had this issue too, I chalked it up to a bad batch and have dumped the beer... I was using priming sugar since I was out of co2, since I am using co2 to dispense so I use to less of the priming sugar? when using a keg is force carb a better way to go?

did you clean your lines before you used them? silly question, but i like to let pbw sit in my lines a few days and then flush with star san. i have had off flavor issues in the past, but this method has really "Cleaned" them up! HA!

I would also replace those 5' lines with 10' (3/16" ID) lines. The normal line length you see used is 1'/1PSI of CO2 pressure the keg is on.

He has flow control faucets! Which supposedly allow you to easily balance the lines by turning a knob at the faucet. Also he doesn't mention foaming problems.

When I overcarb I just purge, set really low (like 2-5 PSI) and keep drinking it, letting the pint sit for 10-15 minutes before drinking it. At that low of serving pressure the keg usually loses carb over a day or two, and I don't have to do much other than drink my beer.

Chia said:
did you clean your lines before you used them? silly question, but i like to let pbw sit in my lines a few days and then flush with star san. i have had off flavor issues in the past, but this method has really "Cleaned" them up! HA!

I 've ran cleaner through the lines but never let it sit any length.. should I let this sit for a couple days?

He has flow control faucets! Which supposedly allow you to easily balance the lines by turning a knob at the faucet. Also he doesn't mention foaming problems.

No foaming issues with the Perlick flow control faucets. Perfect head every time.

I did however had the idea that the restriction in the faucet could be oxygenating the beer somehow, but that was just one idea.

Nah, I don't think that's happening. Not to mention it would take a while for oxidation to affect flavor, and the off flavor you describe doesn't sound like oxidation anyway.

Back